Vertices increasing when importing into zmodeler3

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
throwingapples

Vertices increasing when importing into zmodeler3

Post by throwingapples »

Hello, Recently I have bough a 3d model which I want to convert to GTA:V. In blender the model says it says the model has 484661 vertices, but when I import it into zmodeler3 it says it has 665586 vertices. How is this possible? I am not fond of this issue due to this 3d model having cost me a pretty penny.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Vertices increasing when importing into zmodeler3

Post by Oleg »

1. when model is being converted from blender to ZModeler via intermediate format, it happens for every triangle to get its own set of 3 vertices. As a result, you get 3x times vertices of triangles count. This is, in particular, a case of .obj, .dae and .fbx files being in between of Blender (3dsMax/Maya etc.) and ZModeler. The "optimize vertices" option on import can revert most of split vertices and reduce vertices count (given that absolutely identical vertices are merged together to avoid duplication).

2. ZModeler stores geometry in DirectX fashion when every geometry data is stored on per-vertex basis. This is a contrast to 3dsmax/maya/blender etc. when polygon-specific surface data is stored on polygons and vertices are just 3D points. This is especially the case with UV Mapping and surface smoothness. For example, a Box requires 4 vertices for every quad-facet (6 facets) in ZModeler and in DirectX to be drawn (64 non-matching vertices), while 3dsmax/maya/blender can utilize only 8 vertices (as unique 3D points). This might confuse at first, but this is how DirectX works, it's not something bad that ZModeler does to the model.
throwingapples

Post by throwingapples »

Ok, The optimize vertices only lowers around ~10k vertices. So basically I am screwed?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

use Optimize tool in Blender, it will drop vertices count significantly.
throwingapples

Post by throwingapples »

Ok, thank you for the help. I will see if it will provide any help
throwingapples

Post by throwingapples »

Well after messing a bit around, I found out using the decimate modifier in blender has helped me lower the vertices count. Different file format also has effect on vertices count, from choosing between .obj , .fbx , .dae I have found out that .fbx gives the smallest amount of vertices
throwingapples

Post by throwingapples »

Okay, I have had a new problem arise. Now I have optimized my mesh to 64k vertices but when I import it into zmodeler holes form in the mesh. Is there a solution for this?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

attach a set of screenshots please.

note, you are not actually constrained to 64K vertices. This is a limit per one object in ZModeler. However, objects in ZModeler could be combined into groups to have higher vertices count on one group-object. In particular, GTA vehicle can have 100-200K vertices in total just fine.
throwingapples

Post by throwingapples »

Yeah, I fixed the holes with the fan tool. But thank you for letting me know about the 64k limit.