I broke my collisions

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
Sirvilmos

I broke my collisions

Post by Sirvilmos »

As I was creating an enterable interior collision, I think I broke my vehicle's collision. I tried to recreate it and it still doesn't seem to be working. Peds and vehicles can drive right through my vehicle. Certain things I can drive through while others I will hit. I usually don't have issues creating collisions. I've converted other vehicles before and had no issues. This is the first time creating a enterable interior collision and I have a feeling that has something to do with it. The interior collision works but not the exterior. I went back to the collision forum post but I can't seem to figure out where the flags are located. I'm not sure if zmod has been greatly changed since the collision forum is from 2015.

Thank you,
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: I broke my collisions

Post by Oleg »

An enterable collision requires to be exported in "bound volume hierarchy" mode. This export mode is toggled for geometry object that has "Deformable" option off in Properties->Mesh->Vertices->Format.

In particular, this ("deformable"=off) should be set on collisions of "interior". For example, boat and plane models have this option ("deformable"=off) on collisions of enterable areas of the boat/plane, while the rest of elements utilize "Deformable"=on option (boat/plane body, extras etc.)

In some cases, complex element collision can be made of two identical geometry volumes: one with "Deformable" on and another with "Deformable" off. You can combine these collision geometries into a group and then convert this group to compound. The game's engine will test both collision for hit-detection, so there is a performance impact if you do a lot of these "double collisions". However, this have been seen as the only fix for some vehicles collision and a lot of modders do this trick on their vehicles.
Sirvilmos

Post by Sirvilmos »

I'm not sure what bound volume hierarchy is or how to get to that mode. I have the interior collisions deformable set to off while the exterior ones are set on. That's where I'm running into this issue. I even tried creating a collision without the interior collision and that doesn't even work. It's like I did something somewhere and it broke my collisions. Maybe something with the exporting, not sure.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I have stated everything you need above. try fixing collision with "double collision" method starting from "chassis" and moving down in a hierarchy. Even absolutely correct collision might not work properly in game if game considers something to be not set up properly. hit detection on one class of collisions could still be working (e.g. hitting static scene objects, walls, curbs etc) and hit detection on another class of objects could fail (dynamic objects like trash bins, light poles), peds or vehicles. The "double collision" can force the game to perform all tests on all types of collisions.
Sirvilmos

Post by Sirvilmos »

Yes thank you, it works now. I had to do the double collision. Still weird it stopped working with the usual way I do my collisions but either way as long as it works in game, won't really matter the process of getting there.