Bug with UV-Mapping

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
Hjort3nDK

Bug with UV-Mapping

Post by Hjort3nDK »

Hi when i finished UV-Mapping the car it does this, even though i have the right settings on?
Attachments
image7.png
image6.png
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Bug with UV-Mapping

Post by Oleg »

You have probably messed UV-mapping using "Continuous mesh surface" option. You can't revert or undo this, load your model from a backup.

This option stitches uv vertices when the vertices on the model itself are matching. However, this is usually not needed as you need some surface to be mapped onto one area of texture (rear bumper) and neighbor polygons belong to another texture's area being a car's side. "Continuous mesh surface" will disregard the mesh seam (open edge, if any) on a geometry and will merge UV points of one UV fragment with another fragment.

The other story is when you DO the mapping one fragment after another. E.g. you make an UV mapping for the side, then select polygons for the rear bumper and use "Edit UV" tool to create UV for these polygons. If you go this way, the polygons/vertices you select on every "Edit UV" iteration should be independent mesh fragment (separated from the rest of geometry with open edges) as otherwise you will mess UV on boundary of your current mapping.

In short, select polygons that are "rear bumper" and use Modify\Submesh\Detach tool with no options toggled. This will "detach" selected geometry from the rest of other geometry within an object, no new object will be created, just some open edges/seams will appear on a mesh. Given that, you can safely |Edit UV| this selected fragment of geometry. Then select another fragment and |Detach -> Edit UV| it.

To assure you don't mess anything with Edit UV tool, after selecting something and before using Edit UV tool, try to Modify\Move the selection - there should be no stretching lines/edges going from the rest of geometry to selected group of elements. Selected group of elements should move as a single solid fragment apart from all other geometry data. Then Undo movement and use "Edit UV" safely.
Hjort3nDK

Post by Hjort3nDK »

Thank you so much i'll try it! Whats your PayPal for a tip?
Hjort3nDK

Post by Hjort3nDK »

Well it didn't seem to work.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

"Edit UV" with this option toggled off will not work when UV is already damaged. You should load a model with correct UV mapping first and proceed with "Edit UV" tool with "Continuous mesh surface" toggled off.
Hjort3nDK

Post by Hjort3nDK »

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=568
Here's my settings does it look ok for you?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

show me your vehicle's body layout in UV mapper.

also, you should have seams on a model to avoid UV fragments affecting each other. For example, the selection of polygons you are going to create UV mapping for (using "from viewport XY") should be separate from the rest of geometry. Given that, if you use Modify\Move on these polygons, they should move as a single solid body separated from the other geometry - there should be no stretching edges going from other geometry to selection fragment while you move it in side or front view. You can move and undo. Just to ensure the fragment is properly separated from the rest. Once it is separated, you can use Edit UV safely.