How does Break or Insert function work?

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderator: Oleg

Zac

How does Break or Insert function work?

Post by Zac »

I'm trying to add more detail to a model I have made, in this instance, I want to add the vents onto this mustang hood I'm working on, what would the correct tool be to add more polygons to this area? (red circle in attached picture)
I hope it makes sense what I'm asking.
Attachments
breakhelp.png
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: How does Break or Insert function work?

Post by Oleg »

Modify\Insert tool on edges level. Combine with Modify\Flip on edges level to turn edges. I advise to assign hotkey onto "Apply tool" action for these actions (Ins and F respectively) for this to go quicker.

Zac

Post by Zac »

Thanks Oleg! so it seems you just have your mouse button on a polygon edge, and it creates a new polygon? What is the purpose when you click on a verticle? it becomes a red line you can drag.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

When you use "Insert" tool on an edge, a new vertex is created in an edge under mouse cursor. If a vertex is under cursor, insertion starts from this vertex. If you use this tool explicitly (picked it in Commands bar), the tool is interactive and you pick a set of edges one after another to create an insertion across these edges. The tool will automatically stop when open edge is reached or when you hold CTRL and click. A red line is drawn to show how new edges are about to be created.

When the Insert tool is applied from a hotkey, it performs one-time insertion of the vertex under mouse cursor. This is what was shown in an animation image file above - it was Insert and Flip tools applied with hotkeys to create new set of edges.