Help with 'break' tool

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderator: Oleg

Tharn

Help with 'break' tool

Post by Tharn »

I have several decals that I uv mapped and combined into one single object with the 'attach' tool and I've used the 'break' tool before and it worked for the other set of decals but now something weird is happening with the last set.

I need to break away the decal for the left number from the decal for the right number because since I attached them, the uv map for either side is affected if I modify the opposite one. so I go to vertex mode, select some vertices and proceed to use the 'break' tool then some protuding (polygons?) are visible, that didn't happen with the other set of decals. Do you know the cause for this and how can I fix it?
Attachments
break.png
image_2023-01-21_214120635.png
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Help with 'break' tool

Post by Oleg »

there seems to be an error in a mesh topology that causes tool application to fail. I advise to get rid of this object as soon as possible. Try "Cleanup" tool on it and if it doesn't make things better, redo this object. Before deleting it, you can toggle "Snapping" and "Snap to vertices" to recreate its shape.

Also, the Break tool is barely the tool you need to use for uv-mapping separate fragments of geometry. Instead, use "Detach" tool with options "To new object", "Keep original" and "Enable Drag" being all turned off. Detaching "selected polygons" with such a tool setup will make them separate from the rest of geometry but retain in an object. This is somewhat identical to breaking vertices on the outer edges of selection, but still preferable to be used in stead of Break tool.

Break tool is best of splines manipulation.
Tharn

Re: Help with 'break' tool

Post by Tharn »

I re-did the object and used 'detach' as suggested, it worked. Thanks.