Help with 3D view

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderator: Oleg

Tharn

Help with 3D view

Post by Tharn »

How do I get the 3D view to look as it does in-game or how I've seen other models appear like? It looks all white. This model was created with zmodeler1 and I am trying to open it with zmodeler3 so I had to convert all materials to 'Shader materials' in material browser and somebody told me that's the reason why the model might appear all white in 3D view

I am trying to move an object that is being overlaid by another so I need the 3D view to know how much I should move it until it is no longer overlaid.
3d.png
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Help with 3D view

Post by Oleg »

most likely the material on the object is not well-configured, so you should start with converting material to "Shader material" and adjusting its properties. May be "Emissive" is set to white color and full strength. once you resolve this, the object in 3D view should be properly shaded.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

Yes, all materials are converted to 'shader material'
image_2022-11-19_154734677.png
and here's what the properties look like, emissive is black but diffuse colour is white, is that it?
image_2022-11-19_154942210.png
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

move emissive slider to 0. Current it is at 100.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

Now it looks like this after setting to zero all emissive sliders for all materials. What else do I need to do in order to be able to see the model as it looks in-game?
Attachments
image_2022-11-19_172541412.png
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

put this file into ZModeler's "Config\Materials" folder.
restart ZModeler and use a "Gears" button in materials browser, then Toggle->Emissive->Off.
You can select multiple materials in materials browser and use this command for all of them at once.
Attachments
EmissiveOff.xml
(225 Bytes) Downloaded 164 times
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

Ok, I will do that. So emissive is what is making it look like that even though it's all set to zero now?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

nope. emissive being set to 100 made the object appear as shine-white. the object on your last sceenshot looks like flipped inside-out. you can use Modify\Flip tool to flip visible side of an object.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

ooohh I wonder when did I flip the entire thing inside-out. Must have been when I was messing around trying to move a logo. Still trying to learn this. And your help and patience is invaluable to me. 3D view looks fine now, I was able to move the logo outwards and now it is no longer overlaid by the rear bumper!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

object could be flipped initially after import. For example, game's axes direction could be different and import code does not make an appropriate conversions. you can import another vehicle with interior and take a look whether steering wheel is on the left side or on the right. if it's not where it's supposed to be, the whole scene is X-axis-mirrored (and as a result flipped inside-out).
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

ok, I checked out the interior of a raw copy of the model and the steering wheel is on the right so it was me that flipped the entire thing inside-out. but now I have another issue. I'm trying to create door and quarter decals by creating flat surfaces with create > surface > flat grid but I am unable to drag my mouse to the desired shape and following the car's contour, the entire model just moves. what am I doing wrong?

I recorded a video so you can see

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you can't edit/create anything in 3D view. Use "Perspective" view instead. It will act as a regular editing viewport and if you hold an ALT key, it will act as 3D viewport (rotate camera, pan, zoom etc).

If you want to create a livery over the door, I advise a different method:
1. select polygons on a door outer side,
2. use Modify\Detach tool with options "keep original", "to new object", "Enable drag"
3. disable "Auto" selection mode in the bottom of ZModeler window, then in top or front view click and drag a little (outward of the vehicle, to the outer side of the door). A new object will be created that will contain the selected polygons only.
4. use Modify\Quck slice tool on newly-created object to create vertical or horizontal slice (vertices and edges) to create a line-cut for the redundant exterior boundary of the geometry. Then select redundant polygons and delete them.

In the above steps I assume you need to create a square livery with racing number on the door or something like that?
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

Ok, I will try your suggested method and see how it goes. I need to create decals like these. what I did at first was import the set of decals from another car but they were overlaid by the carskin/door material so I learnt how to move them outwards and then noticed they didn't quite match my model's contour.

Maybe there is a way to modify the set I imported to match the car's contour or I do have to create new ones myself?
Attachments
image_2022-11-20_115448871.png
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

nope. in will be easier to slice these stickers out of the duplicate of door surface (that will perfectly replicate the shape and contour of original door surface). The "copy", "quick slice", "select and delete" are your tools here.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

All right, I will try that then. But why is the 'create > surface > flat grid' method not recommended?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

because it will be a hard time laying the created flat surface over a curved vehicle's door. if you think you can lay it fine, you can surely use Create\Surface\Grid tool, no problem here. the result will just never be perfect on a close camera angle.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

Ok, so I created the decals, but the polygons look all messy. Is there a way to 'fix' the polygons? I also need to get rid of the ones the bigger decal has (zoomed in on front view) and slice it vertically because on the left side of it goes a number, the other number goes on the right side of the decal.
Attachments
image_2022-11-22_205908901.png
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you can refine geometry on vertices or polygons level (including polygons deletion and/or vertices welding (modify\submesh\weld tool). Also, the "quick slice" tool can be applied to selected polygons only (if you need to create a slice/cut on a big decal.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

I was able to slice the bigger decal. the decals I showed you I created matched two bodykits. Had to create new ones for the third bodykit as its geometry is different. And I finally solved the license place dilemma. Somebody tipped me off about something wrong with the configuration file for compiling the model's geometry. I was fusing all LODs into one part so not everything was displaying right.
Oleg wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:44 pm object could be flipped initially after import. For example, game's axes direction could be different and import code does not make an appropriate conversions. you can import another vehicle with interior and take a look whether steering wheel is on the left side or on the right. if it's not where it's supposed to be, the whole scene is X-axis-mirrored (and as a result flipped inside-out).
And you were right about this, I compiled the model and it looked flipped inside-out. Had to flip again in zmodeler for it to look right in the geometry.bin