[HELP]Trying to boost car fps

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
pooya2z

[HELP]Trying to boost car fps

Post by pooya2z »

hi guys in first sorry for my bad english...

so iam trying to boost car fps

consider a lexus car

in first step i reduce size of car texture using xnresizer and i get blue in consol

second i edit polygons using zmodeler , and u know cut the useless polyguns and re render it , like quality from 100% to 40% and details from 2 to 1 or zero

after that whene i restart the server to see whats happend , u know , nothing !! no Attractive work i get ! maybe 2 or 3 fps boosts !!!

so is there any better way to increase car fps and fix drops?
thank you.
pooya2z

Re: [HELP]Trying to boost car fps

Post by pooya2z »

please help :(
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

what is your car's polygon count (triangles count)? you can select all objects and see it in properties page. or in OpenIV.
pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

that's pretty heavy. You have likely converted a render-model into game model. the 0.5Mil poly model is somewhat too much for real-time render with high fps. I doubt an optimization can give a good result, as in general you need a model at most 100-150K polygons for the game. The overall screen is usually less than 2mln polygons per frame (full scene view with landscape, buildings, vehicles, peds etc.) and your 0.5mln model will significantly drop fps (especially if you get two models on screen at a time).

I would suggest to use models with 200k polygons max as a base of the model and delete unnecessary details on them; in combination with optimization tools this could give you 100-150K model. Notice the game widely uses normal-maps. Normal maps are natively created from high-detailed models for their low-poly versions, so every actual micro 3D details are rendered onto normal texture; the normal texture being applied to the low-poly model provides similar visual appearance. Most of game mods suffer of missing normal maps and use real 3D modelling for micro details that actually don't worth to be made this way.

For example, the game never uses grid mesh as real 3D-modelled 3D mesh. it uses bump map and transparency maps with just few polygons.
pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

so , can you please tell me how can I reduce polygons that first the car have a good face and quality and seconds low FPS ?
thanks
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Not in ZModeler. You can use mesh optimization tools (I guess Blender has some, other solid 3D packages have good optimization tools too). On the other hand, it could be easier to pick another 3D model as the base for your mod. a model that has lower detail level initially.
pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

after 3 days , i try maya , d3max , sketcher and ...
the best optimizer was maya BUT after done my work and re import into zmodeler everything in the right panel is messy !
like classes gone , windows = sclkuz:windows and meshs are gone ....
how can i fix that ?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

search for the problem in your tools chain, something got messed in a process, it's not an error you've got in ZModeler on the last step.
pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

OK , please tell me where is the chain menu ? i cant find it
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I meant "toolchain". The sequence of steps you've done. Export from ZModeler (what format?), load into Maya (what options?), use Optimize tools (what options?), export from Maya (what format, what options?) and so on. this is your toolchain to optimize geometry, and somewhere in this chain the model got messed.
pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

ok in first step zmodeler exporter setting is this :

is this setting ok ?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

no.
do not export to OBJ. Export to DAE or FBX.
pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

Ok sorry , now is this ok ?

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

yup, this export will retain UV mapping on objects and objects hierarchy.
when you will return scene back from Maya to ZModeler, use FBX too.

One thing that might help you is to import "optimized" FBX back into ZModeler into the same scene, so you have duplicate scene/hierarchy. For example, you will have original "chassis" with "bonnet" in it (with high poly), and you will have another branch with "chassis" and "bonnet" and these objects will have optimized geometry. Use these "optimized" geometries in your original hierarchy to replace meshes.
pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

ok thanks
now i want to import to MAYA
what is the best setting to import ?!

pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

OK , i found out how to import correctly , just import it , no setting must to change !
BUT For export FBX and import in ZMODELER , the most Hierarchy objects it gone !
can you please help me !?

This is my export Setting :

This is my Maya what is imported successfully !

BUT look the zmodeler .... :(

thanks
pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

Dear oleg ?! are u there ?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I still advise you to export individual geometry objects (one object in a file) and optimize/import back one by one. It's not a good idea to pass the whole scene for geometry optimization. For example, notice a bold names in original ZModeler scene - these are mixed geometry compounds - you will loose them. Notice objects with [COL] in name - these are collision elements with a plenty of custom settings on them, you will loose these settings and mess a collision. Your goal is to reduce geometry complexity on some of your objects, process these objects only.

I guess the "chassis" is the heaviest one (likely to have interior details in it - try to optimize just this object first.
pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

OK , after following you , finally I got how must to reduce the mesh and polygons

you was right , the hole scenes importing is wrong ! just some parts of car what is not have COL or ...

SO , Final step ! I re render and re polygon chassis from 300.000 to 14.000 and everything is OK BUT color is not !

see this :

the chassis color is wrong and I don't know how to fix it ! every mesh and textures is on the place !

can you please help me ? thank you.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

It looks like the model has lost materials assignment.
It is advised to assign original material onto optimized model.
Even though it depends on optimization options, but it is likely the UV-mapping (texture mapping) was not messed and you should get correct texture layout over the optimized mesh.

If your model used different materials, you should assign different materials too.
In such a case I advise to split original model by materials first (so one object = one material) and optimize them one by one too.

to split an object, you can use on polygons level: "Select \ By Material" followed by "Modify\Submesh\Detach" tool.
pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

Dear oleg , i find a software what is called polygun cruncher
its a very usefull app and very cool for reducing BUT after doing reduce polyguns and export to the zmodeler , car get missy !!!

LOOK :

THIS IS ROTATED AND FIXED CHASSIS INTO CAR :

EVEN IN OPENIV ITS OK :

BUT IN THE GAME , WHELES IS PUTTED ON WRING SIDE , AND UPPER THEN PLACE

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME JUST WHY ?!?!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

polycruncher is good in optimizing geometry topology, but it will mess the data it does not considers as important. For example, GTA geometry requires two UV mapping channels and one color channel.

When you:
1. export model from zmodeler
2. apply optimization in whatever tool
3. import model into zmodeler

you can loose important geometry data on each of these steps. That is why I suggested you to use Maya/3dsMax for optimization and DAE or FBX as import/export formats.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, polycruncher was sold to Autodesk and build-in optimization tool in 3dsMax is actually polycruncher code.
pooya2z

Post by pooya2z »

OK , i import the PolyCruncher into MAYA

REDUCED

imported into Zmodeler

Still have problem !!!

P.N = when i import FBX into Maya , the car is LEFT !!!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

your model hierarchy is either messed or you are exporting model_hi.yft file only (you always need to export both model_hi.yft and model.yft files).