GTA V character (Player, NPC) modding

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: GTA V character (Player, NPC) modding

Post by Oleg »

Hello.

There is a FBX import/export in the works that will allow to export entire ped (skeleton and rigged mesh) into 3dsmax for skinning and export it back to ZModeler. That's generally the main purpose I would like FBX to be available in ZModeler.

Concerning your question on RDR2, I don't have an answer yet, as OpenIV team gave some info that looks like a significant problem. the model file has a sort encryption beside compressing, so even being re-packed again, the game could refuse to work with non-encrypted files. I don't know anything on progress they made on these files yet, may be it is already sorted out. Other than that, there are a plenty of new stuff related to DX11/12 and Vulkan features involved that I'm not aware of at the moment.
Z@gor

Post by Z@gor »

Thank you very much for the information Oleg.
Because the facial animation does not work properly in the models that I have transferred to the game, the mouth, jaw and eyes look awkward. How can I completely disable the eye and mouth animation? How can I delete it? There are detailed facial animation descriptions, but I want to disable it completely.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

just paint "Head" bone influence to full strength on entire head including eyes, lips, jaws.
ajitsuke0823

Post by ajitsuke0823 »

Hey, guys! I tried converting this non-streamed ped to streamed ped, but I'm stuck on a problem. Could you help me?
https://www.gta5-mods.com/player/sao-fa ... al-rigging

I'm a beginner in ZModeler3, so I did the following steps which I searched on the net.

1. Import yft file. (Only checked "Combine with existing models" and "Reuse materials".)
2. Rename "ggo_llenn" to ".global"
3. delete ".mesh"
4. Import ydd file. (Only checked "Combine with existing models" and "Reuse materials".)

Then, I tried moving some bones, but the most part didn't follow the bones.
Only "head_000_r" followed the bones.

It works fine when I tried same steps using other peds.

Do you have any good solutions in regards to that?

I'm sorry that I'm not good at English.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

looks like other .mesh did not got bind to .skel inside .global. You can hide unnecessary parts/branches - then hover any mesh (that doesn't follow bones movement) in viewport - skeleton should highlight in lime color. If it doesn't then given .mesh is not bind to the skeleton.

bones movement will affect .mesh object when "Setup mode" (rest pose) on Skeleton is toggled off.
ajitsuke0823

Post by ajitsuke0823 »

Thank you for your reply, Oleg!
I did what you told me.
But skeleton highlighted in lime color when I hover any mesh.

Please look at picture in this URL.
https://imgur.com/gallery/lWhYAnJ

Setup mode was toggled off.

Also, If you don't mind, please try using this ped.
https://www.gta5-mods.com/player/sao-fa ... al-rigging
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

The .ydd file was not created by ZModeler and does not follow game model layout pattern. It looks like it was created or modified by some debug version of software (probably dev version of codewalker or something like that). More precise, all models except head component missed skeleton porting information, while native models contain this info. I assume the game can handle this scenario, even though it does not look correct.

I've made an update in import code to respect rigging information on vertices even when no skeleton porting information is available, so the model should be loaded as rigged.

Also, the geometry was not loaded properly and each vertex was duplicated, producing an excessive amount of vertices. You can fix this on each geometry mesh by selecting its vertices, then use Modify\Weld with "Multiple targets" option toggled on; specify 0 distance and 0 uv tolerance value and 30 normals angles for smoothness. You will get a significant vertices count drop and exported file size drop too.
ajitsuke0823

Post by ajitsuke0823 »

You made an update? Wow, It's amazing! Thank you.
When will this update released?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

it have become available the same day I posted the message. Make sure to press green down-arrow icon in the bottom of ZModeler window, so it could download updates.
ajitsuke0823

Post by ajitsuke0823 »

My ZModeler3 successfully updated! Thank you.
But, another problem appeared.

I tried selecting vertices to use "Modify\Weld".
But, only uppr vertices could not be selected even though I used "Select\All".
Vertices except for uppr could be selected properly.

Also, mysterious orange box frame was displayed with uppr.
I think this frame might relate to current problem.

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

yes, the frame is a bounding box for a "group". The group appeared because ZModeler can not handle single object with more than 64K vertices, it have to group several geometries into one object. So, your task is to dismiss, ungroup, weld within each mesh; attach final meshes one to another to combine them together and weld again. you will have less solid wireframe lines, most of them should get dimmed (on merged vertices over neighbor triangles the wireframe line is dimmed/faded. when vertices are not weld and duplicated - the line is solid).
ajitsuke0823

Post by ajitsuke0823 »

I successfully converted this ped to streamed ped. Thank you for your help and support!
If I have any problems, I might have to contact you again.
Frostyy

Post by Frostyy »

Hello again Oleg! Hope everything is well.

I'm having an issue with some bump mapping, on a jacket I made.
It doens't show up ingame. It shows up in Zmodeler, OpenIV, but just not in GTAV.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this, and could you point me in the direction of a fix? :D

Here are some pictures of the issue: https://imgur.com/a/XzD4z8V

The best,
Frostyy
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

the game can override textures assigned onto ped components to create variations of outfit. I suppose your issue could be related to this.

alternatively, take any original game bump texture, rename it to your texture's name and put it into your mod instead of your own bump texture. Just to find out whether game likes your texture or not.
Frostyy

Post by Frostyy »

Oleg wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:26 am the game can override textures assigned onto ped components to create variations of outfit. I suppose your issue could be related to this.

alternatively, take any original game bump texture, rename it to your texture's name and put it into your mod instead of your own bump texture. Just to find out whether game likes your texture or not.
Hey Oleg! As always, thanks for replying so quick :D

I forgot about this being an issue, I'll try and rename the comp to something else, and see if it works. I tried different bump textures, same issue. :(
appledangerdash

Post by appledangerdash »

Im very new to the gta v modding scene and i was wondering if there is a tutroial on how to convert a character model from another game into gta v using zmodeler
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I don't have a tutorial on this, but I guess you can find such tutorials on youtube.

It is advised to start with simple modifications/replacements on original game models.
the very basic steps are shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNH2EN9B0ds
appledangerdash

thank you that video was very helpful for teaching the basics and making your first edit.
I find a yotube video on how to make custom peds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-g9Vd ... e=emb_logo

and I have 2 questions
1-How do you deal with a model that doesnt line up line the skeleton/in game model (do you change the skeleton position or do you change your own model to fit)
2-When exporting the final model I keep on getting this error message Can not obtain Shader material from "Default Material". file:rageexportmaterial.cpp line:129

thank you again and I hope Im not bothering you
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

perfectly, you should load a rigged model into ZModeler (e.g., from .DAE file). Then you can toggle off "Setup mode" on a skeleton and adjust its bones position to match GTA rest pose. Moving skeleton should move the rigged mesh too. Once you are done, use Skeleton\Unbind tool to detach skeleton from a mesh and force the mesh to "remember" the new pose. From this moment on, you can bind the mesh to original game's skeleton and it should match the game's skeleton.

Other than that, you can adjust (rotate) arms and legs manually to match GTA rest pose.
appledangerdash

thanks to you ive been able to create and import my first custom model into the game in such little time, but one slight issue the textures dont seem to work properly, the textures keeps on changing to a weird newspaper look which on further insecption looks like the map textures just imprinted onto the body.
to create the textures I first converted all of the textures to [ped_default] in zmodler 3 and I then created a new ytd file and imported all of the models textures without chaning the name(s) and as you can see it worked perfectly in the openiv viewer but not in game any idea on why?
Attachments
openiv
openiv
in game model
in game model
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

the game will not respect DETAIL texture on your materials for peds and ped components. The texture the game will use is the one specified in metadata file for your ped. This is a technique to configure main texture for peds with no re-export of the model, so artists can assign a desired texture (or add a set of textures for variative appearance) after the model was exported.

In short, you should give texture the same name as it was on original model, you should put this texture into the same .ytd file that was used by original model. Alternatively, make appropriate changes in metadata file.
gtavvince

Post by gtavvince »

Hello, we are currently in the process of trying to get a hat to stop moving while standing still. Here is a example of what it is doing https://gyazo.com/d30fe472897ad73e0cd179caeec5c1dc
We have tried to solve it by doing this is wind simulation effect. paint per-vertex "Secondary color" to black. Enable Secondary color in mesh properties->mesh->vertices->format. To paint secondary color pick Surface->paint->[options: Secondary, RGB]->Color->[black color, Fill Selected ||assuming you've selected an object] with no results. Any help on how we could solve this would be appreciated thanks in advance!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you have missed some step in a guide you've quoted. the guide is correct and accurate, nothing is missing.
appledangerdash

Thank you and sorry for the late response (I was in the hospital for a week covvid)

I realised that the video I was following combined all the model parts into 1 because there was only 1 texture file but my model has 3 texture files and Im not too sure on how to split it up and rig the bones or whatever order its meant to be done in I've looked everywhere and there doesnt seem to be any tutorials on how to do it aside from the video I just mentioned(which is odd considering on how big this game is)

My main question is do I split up the model before I rig it or do I rig it before I split it, and how do I do it?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

in general, it doesn't matter whether you rig a split model or a complete model. splitting after rigging could be a better choice if your model is OK on 64k vertices limit being merged.

mind, model split in game is generally for game textures limitation: game uses ONE texture on DETAIL slots of all materials on ONE component. So, if you need several textures for upper body, you should split it to body + accessories or something like that.