Why this soft is even paid?

ZModeler2-related discussion. General questions, howto, etc.

Moderator: Oleg

SilverNomad

Why this soft is even paid?

Post by SilverNomad »

Greetings. So... A very delicate question about, why this 3D editing tool is distributed on a paid basis, if the mods themselves are distributed for free? For example, to create 3D models, I use Blender, which is FREE. Game mods are also distributed for FREE. Meanwhile, the bridge, connecting the finished 3D model and the finished mod, for some reason, is paid. Modmakers are working on pure enthusiasm, just to diversify our favorite games... And they are forced to go into the negative deposit, due to the lack of any alternatives. It's reasonable to pay money for 3Ds Max-kind software, which is produced primarily for the corporate and freelance segment, where people are earning money on it ... Another thing is to demand payment for ZModeler, which target audience (modmakers) isn't earning money on it at all.
I'm making a vehicle in Blender, and wanna try to convert it for GTA V, after it's finished. As it's articulated Soviet tractor, I'm not even sure, that I'll manage to make it's steering work in GTA V. And for the reason, that there's no GTA V vehicle model plugins for any of existing 3D editing software, ZModeler is the only tool to do it. I just want to experiment with modmaking for a while, and possibly - even do some serious modmaking on a periodic basis, if it all works out... And the only tool for this is distributed on a paid basis, and even on a subscription system, which does not pay off at all. This is some kind of robbery. Nobody's going to compensate subscription fees.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Why this soft is even paid?

Post by Oleg »

Hello.

Modding is a sort of hobby or a something that you do for your own pleasure and to please other gamers. It's your choice on how to spend your free time and which hobby to choose, be it watching movies, playing games or making something with tools (either real or digital). In most of hobbies one have to invest into "tools for hobby" be it an application subscription for movies, games or be it a modding tool. That's my point of view on the matter, you could agree or not. Also, the $4.5/month (or $40 a year) is not that much for a hobby I think.