ZModeler 2 looking in the wrong folder for textures

ZModeler2-related discussion. General questions, howto, etc.

Moderator: Oleg

ZModelerUser897342

ZModeler 2 looking in the wrong folder for textures

Post by ZModelerUser897342 »

Hey there,

It's me again. The guy who sadly has to go through ZModeler one to export to .x for the game I am making models for: http://forum.zmodeler3.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12178

I am having a problem with ZModeler 2 where it is looking in the wrong folder for textures.

1. I copy the .o3d file to the "Texture" folder, so all textures and .o3d model file are in the same folder.

2. I export .o3d to .obj. An .obj and .mtl file is created as normal.

3. I open ZModeler 2 and import the .obj. Everything is fine, textures showing up fine.

4. I save as .z3d and close ZModeler 2.

5. Few days later, I open ZModeler 2. I want to work on a different vehicle, and had already done steps 1-4 for a DIFFERENT folder.

6. I open this .z3d. All textures are gone, and there are multiple errors saying "texture xxxx.tga cannot be found". View > Textures Browser is empty.

7. I close ZModeler 2.

8. I copy all the required textures in this DIFFERENT folder to the folder I created for the other bus, from Step 1

9. I open the z3d from Step 6 again. All textures are apprearing. View > materials browser shows that it is infact being loaded from the folder i just copied to

Is there any workaround? I don't want to have to keep adding textures every time i want to work on the file.

I tried editing the zmodeler profile file but nothing useful, and I tried opening, importing, adding textures from the desired bus's texture folder, then restarting zmodeler, but nothing... still looks for textures in the wrong folder.

All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: ZModeler 2 looking in the wrong folder for textures

Post by Oleg »

If I'm not mistaken, Settings->Services->Textures allows you to specify paths to textures. If you tick them there and close ZModeler, these ticked paths will be saved and used across .z3d files.

.z3d file can store its own texture paths, so it is not very accurate to copy your .z3d file and textures into another folder.

Also, the "Store textures" option allows you to save textures inside .z3d file, so the .z3d file can be moved into any folder and/or sent/uploaded to another user of ZModeler. This option is in Settings->General->Files->Z3d.