Hello i am trying to learn to make custom plates could anyone help

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
DKN

Hello i am trying to learn to make custom plates could anyone help

Post by DKN »

so i am pretty new to zmodeler but only really interested in learning a couple of things such as, adding custom plates and i think i got a part of it down on cars that already have it added i can re texture the YTD file but im left behind with the bumps from the previous plate so i was wondering if anyone knew how to create one like this but for a new plat or just make it not have the bumps

i would also like it if someone linked me to a pretty decent guide or helped me on how to import custom plates on cars that only have the gta ones and change the texture on them to names Ty everyone any tips will help
Attachments
This is what i mean
This is what i mean
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Hello i am trying to learn to make custom plates could anyone help

Post by Oleg »

the bump-map (or normal-map) can be generated externally from a black and white texture with "height map generation" tool or something like that. This is not something you do in ZModeler.
In ZModeler you can set the material up to use your own textures. The licenseplate shader has a two set of textures (diffuse, bump and specular) - one for the plate itself and another for alphabet. The alphabet textures set is configured with user-defined options where you specify texture parameters (like amount of letters horizontally, amount of letters vertically, or something like that). The game will automatically use the second set of textures to create letters on license plate.

Most of license-plate setup is likely to be made outside of the model file in a metadata file. I don't know much on this, you should probably examine these files in addon mods that already have this features (custom dynamic license plate).
DKN

Post by DKN »

Oh right so would you know how I would go about doing to mapping, and I understand what you mean about the textures but I’m just not sure as to how to set them up so I have a png I can edit in the ytd file for the plate
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you need to convert .png images to .dds as the game uses dds only. then load these textures into ZModeler and put them into respective slots of licenseplate material (main texture to DETAIL slot, bump/normal texture to BUMP slot etc.)

To edit texture layout on the model itself, use Surface\Edit UV tool. This is a bit tricky for the beginner, so check the video guides on youtube first.

I advise to keep original game's material setup and original "letters" set of textures, at least at first, so replace just the base plate textures.
DKN

Post by DKN »

so the picture i would import back as a dds obviously being the same size as the previous custom plate texture can just be one like this?
Attachments
this is the custom plate texture and i want the bumps on the plate to match this lettering
this is the custom plate texture and i want the bumps on the plate to match this lettering