Rigged/convertible roof help.

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
realityenb

Rigged/convertible roof help.

Post by realityenb »

Is there any way this can be explained in detail? Seems as if people have gotten it working, but there's no tutorial of it. Oleg has commented on how to get the car in zmodeler via the toggling of the slicing parts option and weighing the mesh/etc, but there's nothing after that. A walk through would be nice seeing as it's the same ordeal as rigging ped mesh. I just have an issue when it comes to rigging a part onto another vehicle.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Rigged/convertible roof help.

Post by Oleg »

what exactly your question is about? if you need a soft-top roof on a vehicle, the model have to be loaded with "Slice to parts" turned off. You will get a single .mesh object (may be it will be a group of objects if it exceeds 64K vertices). to edit bones influence I advise to hide each and every vertex that does not relate to the roof object. For example, you can use Select\By Element tool to select everything that is "roof", then invert selection and hide. mind to do this on vertices level. Once everything not related to roof is hidden, you can paint bones influence. It is advised to toggle "Transparency" mode on viewport, so painting tool will act on all vertices under brush-cursor and will ignore whether polygons are front-facing or back-facing. Toggling off "Solid" does the same effect for weight painting tool.

you can switch to object level to pick another current bone and switch back to vertices level to proceed painting its weight.

Note you can toggle "Setup mode" off (on a skeleton) and rotate roof bones (toggle off "Pivot" button in the bottom too), to see how rigged roof .mesh object follows the bones (whether bones paint is OK or not). The quick toggle on "Rigging" bar lets you switch "Setup mode" on/off quickly. You can still paint weights in non-setup mode (when geometry is rotated by bones), but it might not be quite convenient as points (vertices) stay in place for paint and wireframe/solid geometry is actually following skeleton. alternatively, you can toggle on/off rigging and animation in one viewport where you paint weights and see rigged/animated object in another viewport.
realityenb

Post by realityenb »

Thanks for the quick explanation, but the next question is the hierarchy when it's time to export it? The demonstration you showed above was perfect and I'll utilize this to complete my rigged model.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

realityenb wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:27 am ...is the hierarchy when it's time to export it?
what exactly do you mean here?
realityenb

Post by realityenb »

Ah, I thought the model had to be in a specific hierarchy when exporting. I'm actually working on this now. I'll update this as I go if I have anymore questions. Thanks for the easy explanation!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you can import original models to see the correct scene setup.
realityenb

Post by realityenb »

Yeah, I just did that with the Tornado. (What I'm basing this current car on) and I see it. Thanks again, Oleg.
realityenb

Post by realityenb »

Update, as I was going on with the progress, I was using OPEN IV to test the rigged parts I was working on. In OPEN IV it's not separated (the rigged parts I'm working on of course), but in game and with slice to parts on in Zmod 3 (did not export it with slice to parts toggled, but just a test to see what it looks like in zmod) and it's still showing as split. On the Tornado with slice to parts off, the mesh is underlapping each other, but on my model it's still split with no underlying mesh. Can provide pictures if needed.
realityenb

Post by realityenb »

Edit-
Last edited by realityenb on Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

"Slice to parts" option is for import model into ZModeler. It has no effect on export.