Bumpmap,specmap not working on export.

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
swaggerkaj

Bumpmap,specmap not working on export.

Post by swaggerkaj »

Hello,
Recently I started converting weapons with help of zmodeler3. I had done many weapons and had no problems using specmap and bumpmap textures. Recently with a weapon I started converting it only looks like a flat texture and no visible trace of bumpmap and specmap. I tried another weapon model but also run into this issue. Does anyone know a fix for this? it would be gladly appreciated.
Pictures for reference:
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Bumpmap,specmap not working on export.

Post by Oleg »

does your model has "Tangents" toggled in properties of geometry objects? Surface\Normals\Calculate tool need to be applied after toggling "Tangents" too.
swaggerkaj

Post by swaggerkaj »

I will check to see if I have this applied
swaggerkaj

Post by swaggerkaj »

Oleg wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:49 am does your model has "Tangents" toggled in properties of geometry objects? Surface\Normals\Calculate tool need to be applied after toggling "Tangents" too.
Tangents were not enabled, but after enabling and creating new materials the bug is still present.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

i would suggest to enable tangents, create new UV via Edit UV -> Generate new (just for test purpose) and apply Surface\Normals\Calculate. in this exact order. then export and check in game whether shading/bump is correct or not.

correct bump-map requires model to have proper normals and tangents. tangents are calculated when model has uniform layout on UV#1, when mapping is messed or degradated, tangents can not be calculated.

other than that I would suggest to try different game shader (adaptation) on material. try a shader that does not use bump-map, just to ensure the issue is actually related to material itself rather than the model.

also, note, you have to ensure the game actually finds and loads bump texture. if it misses to find the one, the model can't be shaded properly. I would suggest to put a bump-map texture of mesh/net/tiles.. something that is explicitly distinguishing when you look at. for example, you can clearly identify whether the bump map texture is actually applied or not if you put tiles bump textures - may be this will give some hint on what is going on or what went wrong.
swaggerkaj

Post by swaggerkaj »

Oleg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:06 am i would suggest to enable tangents, create new UV via Edit UV -> Generate new (just for test purpose) and apply Surface\Normals\Calculate. in this exact order. then export and check in game whether shading/bump is correct or not.

correct bump-map requires model to have proper normals and tangents. tangents are calculated when model has uniform layout on UV#1, when mapping is messed or degradated, tangents can not be calculated.

other than that I would suggest to try different game shader (adaptation) on material. try a shader that does not use bump-map, just to ensure the issue is actually related to material itself rather than the model.

also, note, you have to ensure the game actually finds and loads bump texture. if it misses to find the one, the model can't be shaded properly. I would suggest to put a bump-map texture of mesh/net/tiles.. something that is explicitly distinguishing when you look at. for example, you can clearly identify whether the bump map texture is actually applied or not if you put tiles bump textures - may be this will give some hint on what is going on or what went wrong.
Alright, I will try this later today to see if it fixes the issue
swaggerkaj

Post by swaggerkaj »

Is it also possible that the way the texture has been made one of the problems? If I look at GTA detail texture and their bumpvariants, they only differ in color. While my bump texture differs completely in things, here is a picture for reference: vs how gta has done it: . Is this possible to be causing the problem?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

nope, both variants look ok to me. have you tested the modded weapon with another (original game's) bump texture as a test? just to see whether it makes shading look better or not?
swaggerkaj

Post by swaggerkaj »

Oleg wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:16 am nope, both variants look ok to me. have you tested the modded weapon with another (original game's) bump texture as a test? just to see whether it makes shading look better or not?
I have managed to fix the problem by partially redoing the texture, that seemed to be the issue.