Reflection Material on Peds not working

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
quechus13
Beginner

Reflection Material on Peds not working

Post by quechus13 »

Hello!
So up until yesterday I have been able to use "normal_spec_reflect" on peds by using another shader that is "ped" and it wouldn't crash.
Now for some reason the reflection doesn't work anymore when I export.
Could you help me figure this out?
What do you need from me Oleg?
Thanks!
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Reflection Material on Peds not working

Post by Oleg »

I doubt this is something that ZModeler exported wrong or the game started to reject this shader as there were no updates in ZModeler on this subject as well as the game was not updating for a couple of months. Also, ZModeler does not care what shader you assign on a model, you can use vehicle's shaders on a ped and vice versa. However, the game does care what shader you use on a model and I think rigged ped model is expected to utilize "ped_****" group of shaders only.
quechus13
Beginner

Post by quechus13 »

Yes but I still have models that use the same shader that use Reflection yet this one that I recently exported doesn't seem to work.
I'm attaching my z3d file, it is rather weird that it isn't working as it used to work just fine before and now it is not working.
The only issue that used to happen was that ped models using generic shaders would not cast shadows but that wasn't the issue as it was only used for small details such as buckles or metallic parts that didn't matter if they casted shadows or not.

Here's my Z3D file:
https://we.tl/t-xio4ZSgZBk

Please note that I also have a variation of this same jacket where the reflections do work so it obviously is something during export or the way I set it up this time??
Thanks
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

i can't test model in game, so your .z3d file will not let me do any tests at all.
are you sure the issue is related to the shader? if you assign any "ped" group of shaders onto this part everything works fine then? have you tried to use any other shader (non "ped")? It's not a must for the shader to be the cause of game to crash I suppose. Even more, the shader itself should not cause any crash - there could be rendering artifacts, flickering or other visual problems, but the game crash is barely related to material/shader configuration.
quechus13
Beginner

Post by quechus13 »

Fixed the issue.

The issue was that the texture used was white and so texture is used as a slider for intensity, (WHITE means almost to no reflection and BLACK means complete reflection)

Again this is is hardcoded but if you use shaders that aren't "PED" the game will crash if you spawn that ped UNLESS you use a ped shader in the same mesh, this isn't zmodeler but GTA code.