Smoke particles not visible through glass on certain angles

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
ssj4581

Smoke particles not visible through glass on certain angles

Post by ssj4581 »

https://youtu.be/sM8-Cw364Ds

Here's a video showing the issue.

I used glass material for hiding some parts before/during vehicle animation.

It works, but some smoke particles are not visible through the transparent glass.

If you look at rear windshield closely on 0:22, you can see the same thing is happening there as well.

I think it's intended to cover smokes going through vehicle interior so it might be hard coded,

but if there's any way I can go around this and you know it, please help me out.

Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Smoke particles not visible through glass on certain angles

Post by Oleg »

Not sure what were you trying to do... Looks like you were using this "glass material" artifact for some parts (to make them invisible) and have this artifact doing bad stuff on smoke in game?

The game actually has a "hide parts" trick for animations (it's not part of animation file itself), the game can hide some parts at animation playback (or after playing up to the end). In particular, roof animation can hide rear door glass objects. I've seen this in metadata files if I'm not mistaken. May be you can utilize this feature instead?
ssj4581

Post by ssj4581 »

Untitled-3.jpg
I used this glass trick for hiding arrow lights(as an extra) before the arrow arms are fully opened.

The arrow is one piece, because I thought separating them for all arrow arms will make turning them on by toggling each vehicle extra very, very tedious.

Also, the vehicle already has 126 hierarchy elements(max 128).

It also hides cable sticking out before the animation, I did this because I couldn't figure out how to animate flexible stuff, like soft top roof animations.

I think what you mentioned is "<animConvRoofWindowsAffected>" from vehicles.meta

I'll try utilizing this, but I think this is only for hiding stuff after the animation. What I need is hiding stuff "before" the animation :(
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

may be you can make this "arrow" out of several components and "unroll" it from compact (overlapping) state into expanded full size?
ssj4581

Post by ssj4581 »

That's what I did with the board itself. Doing it is not a problem but I made them flash by covering it with transparent glass(it's hard to describe in words, I used all 20 sirens and needed message board to be flashing as well so when some sirens are activated and scaled up, transparent glass attached to the siren covers and hides the message board, making it look like it's flashing as well) as well so if I can't find a way to make smoke visible through transparent glass, I need to rework the whole thing :'(