Ped Rigging/Help with Knowledge Base

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
Othrin

Ped Rigging/Help with Knowledge Base

Post by Othrin »

Greetings,

I have been using zmod3 for a long time and recently started getting into ped modifications, away from vehicle mods that I usually do.

Recently, I have been attempting to modifiy a freemode mp ped upper and I am getting issues while rigging.

Here is what I have done so far:
Set the max bones in preferences to 180
The mesh I am attempting to edit has rigging enabled and bones in properties set to 4
I have copied the weight paint over from the default upper
Attached the mesh to the skel by using mark and the bind marked selection tool

When I use inverse kinematic, The bones on the bottom half of the ped deform the mesh but when I try to move the bones on the arms, the arms do not move with the bones.
When I use the ped in game It looks like this: https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=676

I have looked at about a dozen tutorials, even the ones by zmodeler3 in on YouTube, and perhaps my knowledge is quite limited, but any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Ped Rigging/Help with Knowledge Base

Post by Oleg »

the very first step is to import .yft file to get a correct skeleton. Once you rename branch to .global, you can import .ydd file. All mesh objects will get bind to a skeleton inside .global. At this point, adjusting skeleton (with "Setup mode toggled off) should cause correct mesh rigging deformation - upper, lower, hands etc. This is the setup you can work with.

From this point, you can import your custom upper model. enable rigging on it and set max bones to 4. Then bind it to .skel inside .global. Then you can use Rigging\weight\copy tool. Once you do this, altering skeleton should cause correct rigging on your custom upper mesh too. then rename object and put it into hierarchy to replace original .mesh file and export.

Currently I could think of weight copying causing problems. For example, you've copied it from a mesh that was not rigged to full skeleton. For example, importing .ydd file with no .yft file first can load geometry with reduced skeleton data (e.g. 20 bones for upper instead of something like 150), and copying weights from such a .mesh will give incorrect bones assignment on your new mesh too.
Othrin

Post by Othrin »

Alright, I changed up the order of how I did things by importing the ped.yft first and setting up the .global branch and then importing the .ydd I wanted to edit and the mesh seems to be deforming with the correct rigging. I will go ahead and test this in game, but it seems to have done the trick. I think you were right as I was only seeing weight paint present on the body parts that were correctly moving in game so there was an incomplete bone assignment. Thanks!
Othrin

Post by Othrin »

https://prnt.sc/24i25nd
And indeed the upper appears correctly in game.