Problems with yft (skeleton)

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
rockbergema

Problems with yft (skeleton)

Post by rockbergema »

Well, in the picture below, you may already know what I mean, I want to equate the yft file (skel section) with the mesh, please help so that the horizontal hand and leg bones are the same as the hands and feet
in the mesh. please answer oleg and other experts

rockbergema

Re: Problems with yft (skeleton)

Post by rockbergema »

It's really sad that Oleg doesn't want to answer my question
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Problems with yft (skeleton)

Post by Oleg »

Given that the skeleton in background (T-pose) does not look like GTA skeleton, you should get the proper skeleton first. The proper gta skeleton is more alike to the character pose you have.

There is no a magic tool to align the geometry and any skeleton, this can be done manually only. Saying so, I expect you to be an advanced 3D modeller, as I will not make any video guides on this (pretty complicated task for a beginner). If you are not, I advice to pick another 3D model for converting, the one that fits GTA better.

Ok, to refine a mesh pose, you need to create a new skeleton, and 5 bones on it: one for "body", two for arms and two for legs. once created, place them at shoulders (arm bones) and at pelvis (legs bones). It doesn't really matter where bones axes are pointing to, the idea is to:
1. bind your geometry to a "temporary" skeleton.
2. assign rigging of "body" bone to all the vertices.
3. use weight paint tool to paint left arm bone to entire left arm (smooth paint at shoulder).
4. switch skeleton to "animation mode" (vs default "setup mode"). toggle "Pivot" button off and use "rotate" tool on left arm bone to rotate it - the geometry's "arm" should rotate too. if rigging painting is OK, the mesh will do soft bend at the shoulder. You can always change skeleton mode to "Setup mode" and refine rigging/weight of the bone. switching "animation pose" vs "setup mode" from time to time to check whether rigging is good or not.
5. do the same for another arm and legs
6. in "animation mode" rotate arms and legs so the geometry matches the pose of the desired skeleton (GTA skeleton).
7. use Rigging\Skeleton\Unbind tool on a mesh - it will "unbind" from a temporary skeleton, but will remember the pose, the one that matches the desired skeleton pose. You can delete temporary skeleton now.