Limit: Not more than 128 Hierarchy elements

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
Retrocop

Limit: Not more than 128 Hierarchy elements

Post by Retrocop »

Hello all! I discovered new limit, and suggest to do warning in zmodeler 3 for users who trespass it. Limit is - having not more than 128 hierarchy elements for .yft .
I work on unmarked police cars, with different set of lightbars, with active usage of extras system.
Thats how it looking with broken limit:
All become normal when i optimised hierarchy and combined some elements.
Will be good if zmodeler 3 will show warning, like warning about [COL] without related object, or material without full set of textures.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Limit: Not more than 128 Hierarchy elements

Post by Oleg »

You can change in Settings->Profile->Editor
on
Preferences->Filters->GTARage
a value for "MaxBones". Default is 128, you can set something like 180. press OK and restart ZModeler.
Jacobmaate

Post by Jacobmaate »

Hi Oleg,

The setting change you put forward above does indeed fix the original issue (a similar thing happens when turning on emegergency lights), but it would appear that increasing the original limit from 128 causes the game to crash whenever the vehicle collides with something (as seen in this video below):

https://youtu.be/V9Ea9D_rgzU

Unless there's some other way to sort this, I reckon the suggestion put before about having a warning message on export would be a good idea, for those who may not be aware of this issue or to serve as an added reminder to us all.
Many thanks.
Lore Friendly Modder // EUP & RDE Developer
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

i think these issues are unrelated. remove most of collision objeccts, use just one for chassis plus four wheels and test in game. I doubt collisions issue is related to hierarchy elements count. unless you don't exceed 255.
Jacobmaate

Post by Jacobmaate »

I tried removing all the COLs, just keeping the chassis [COL] and respective collisions for the wheels as you said, and the same problem persists - colliding with anything instantly crashes the game.

It's certainly a weird one, but as soon as I go back to 128 components or less, the model works just fine.
It may require some more testing from others to verify this, just in case I am doing something wrong, but it would seem that this is related to the hierarchy count.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Another thing,
if you change "Max bones" to a high value like 180 and convert your scene to have 128 or less components, does it work in game?

Also, have you seen any original game vehicle with more than 128 components? (so I could take a look whether it has something specific inside a file)
Jacobmaate

Post by Jacobmaate »

To answer your first question, vehicles with 128 components or less seem to work, even with the "max bones" limit defined as higher than 128.

As for your second question, I don't think I've explicitly noticed any vanilla models which have over 128 components but I'll have a look around to see if there are any and get back to you on that. :)
Jacobmaate

Post by Jacobmaate »

A quick update on my last post, I've still to find any models in the game which have 128 or more components. The highest I could find was a model with 127 components - this was the BOMBUSHKA, from mpsmuggler dlc (Smuggler's Run).
Deadspin
Beginner

Post by Deadspin »

Group your objects in the hierarchy. Not every piece added to a vehicle needs to be it's own single element.
[Lore and 3rd Party Emergency Vehicles | Custom Ped/EUP]
13stewartc

Post by 13stewartc »

Oleg wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:47 am i think these issues are unrelated. remove most of collision objeccts, use just one for chassis plus four wheels and test in game. I doubt collisions issue is related to hierarchy elements count. unless you don't exceed 255.
I experienced the same issue during testing.

128 Bones = Car works fine
129 Bones = Car spawns fine and you can enter it fine but as soon as you hit anything the game crashes.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

in most of cases you can merge some parts together. the actual bone is needed when the associated part in game has it's own movement or is actually used by the game as locator/point for game's logic. There is no need to create parts for objects the game don't considers as separate objects. For example, literally everything inside the vehicle is an "interior" the game don't interact with, you just need four dummies as player/passenger seat locators, interior light dummy position and probably a steering wheel object. Same for the under-hood: everything under the hood can still be a part of "chassis" object.
Retrocop

Post by Retrocop »

Oleg wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:55 pm in most of cases you can merge some parts together. the actual bone is needed when the associated part in game has it's own movement or is actually used by the game as locator/point for game's logic. There is no need to create parts for objects the game don't considers as separate objects. For example, literally everything inside the vehicle is an "interior" the game don't interact with, you just need four dummies as player/passenger seat locators, interior light dummy position and probably a steering wheel object. Same for the under-hood: everything under the hood can still be a part of "chassis" object.
Yes, it's not problem to merge objects, but i mean you need to add a warning for users, to let them not waste their time for research of this problem. For example you added warning when COL have other name than parent object, so i suggest to add same warning like: your work has more than 128 hierarchy elements. It can be very annoying problem, i wasted 2-3 days before i understood what is wrong.