Zmodeler3 Texture Bug

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
Danylean

Zmodeler3 Texture Bug

Post by Danylean »

Hey guys, can you help me? (sorry for the bad english)

So, I am having a problem with the program, always when I try to make a new template for a vehicle, I click in the Uv Editor and the map is created, but if I stop to see the model 3D, i See some tires or a texture bugged after the process.

You can see the problem in the prints. Someone knows what can be that?

Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Zmodeler3 Texture Bug

Post by Oleg »

Let's take a look at rear bumper of the vehicle. You need to uv-map it from side view and from rear view. Most likely, you should uv-map small fragment from left/right view onto some texture area, then map the rest of bumper from back view onto another texture area. When you do so, you will get a glitch like on your screenshot, because uv-mapping of back fragment will affect mapping on vertices of "side" fragment. This is because vertices are storing UV mapping, not polygons. you need to duplicate vertices on shared edge, so "left fragment" will use one texture area and will store associated UV data on it's own vertices, and "back" fragment of the bumper will use another area of texture and will safely store UV data on vertices. when vertices are not shared, and each (back/side) fragment uses its own set of vertices. the problem is on the seam line only.

So, what to do?

1. select a set of polygons that you would like to UV-map from "back" view.
2. use Modify\Submesh\Detach tool with options: to new object = 0, enable drag = 0, keep original = 0. You can just click on selected polygons - the tool will separate selected polygons from the rest of an object, so they have their own unique set of vertices.
3. Deselect all polygons
4. use Select\Separated tool to select polygons on back area with right-click. if this tool is able to select "islands" of polygons on back area (the one you've "detached") and does not touch polygons on "side" areas of bumper, then you've done steps 1-2 properly and you are safe to use "Edit UV" tool on selected polygons. (not necessary to do so right now)

You could undo steps 4 and 3 to return position when back fragment of rear bumper is selected (but already detached), so you can use "Edit UV" straight from this point.

You can use "Select \ Invert" to select "Side" fragments of rear bumper and yet you are still safe to use "Edit UV" for them too, since they don't share vertices with "back" fragment of the bumper.

Doing so (Select, Detach, Edit UV) in problematic areas will let you UV-map surfaces from different angles.

P.S. Do not use Surface\Normals\Calculate tool on a model that you've sliced with "Detach" tool for UV-Mapping. Calculated normals will make the "adjacent" areas to appear sharp, so seams will be clearly seen. In most of cases this is not needed, you need surface to look smooth.

when you need to UV-map a "side" of the vehicle and "rear bumper", you can't map