How can selecting an object be so difficult?

Technical issues and help in: forum registration/posting, account creation/confirmation, platforms and licenses issues.

Moderator: Oleg

Erik-M1999

How can selecting an object be so difficult?

Post by Erik-M1999 »

Auto Select is on and yet I can't select anything with left or right click. Smaller objects do work, but bigger objects like chassis of a car or boxes can't be selected at all
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: How can selecting an object be so difficult?

Post by Oleg »

it is likely the "bigger" objects are made as group of objects, so you can select the whole group. Group object has orange bounding box corners drawn around. You can select objects inside a group if you open it. To open a group, locate an object in hierarchy, pick the desired object and press "open group" button above (or right-click on an object and pick Group->Open).

Note, autoselection tool works only if nothing is hovered under cursor. If anything is hovered, ZModeler will try to apply a tool you have on a left mouse button (e.g. Move tool). If nothing is under cursor, automatic selection will start working.

In some cases it is preferable to use other selection tools instead of automatic selection. For example, I prefer Select\Single tool (Shift+S hotkey by default) to select/deselect an element under cursor. Shift+D to deselect everything (Select\None tool).

Other than that, you can hold ALT key down and click on visibility icon of an object in hierarchy view - this will turn icon to/from red color and will select/deselect associated object.
Erik-M1999

Re: How can selecting an object be so difficult?

Post by Erik-M1999 »

Ah thank you very much for clarifying this! I've been looking for a long time for an answer like this. Now it works like you described it!