How to modify scs models

SCS Software ATS and ETS2 editing using ZModeler3 filter. Models, Materials, Animation.

Moderator: Oleg

Mmeister

How to modify scs models

Post by Mmeister »

Hi,

I'm new to game modding. Have some ideas I would like to make in ETS2. I have some experience with 3d design software such as CATIA V5, Solidworks and Inventor for past 15 years. Have a general idea how to operate with parts/assemblies - modify or make from scratch. But in Zmodeler I'm lost, files seem like they are locked for editing. For starters I set to modify game files. I wanna split a trailer to get axle module from one model and merge with another to create a new configuration but I'm totally lost. I did not found an explanation or a guide anywhere on internet that made sense. How can I learn to model and edit files? What steps I need to follow to be able to split model and merge with another. Then I guess I have to edit some sii files to fit too.

Thanks.
And I apologize if such topic is on forums already.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: How to modify scs models

Post by Oleg »

Hello.

ZModeler3 is a successor of ZModeler2 product and generally use the same tools set and workflow as ZModeler2. You can probably use ZModeler2 starter guides that I suppose widely available.

On the other hands, you are likely to pin to 3D software you are familiar with and use ZModeler to assembly a game-ready model only. So, you need to know general-purpose operations on objects like splitting, merging, hierarchy assembly and, most important, materials configuration. You can use Collada DAE or FBX files to transfer models between ZModeler and a 3D software of your choice.

To your questions, the object is split with Modify\Submesh\Detach tool which requires you to select polygons inside an object first. In most of cases, Select\Separated or Select\Element tools will give accurate fragmented selection on polygons level. All selection tools work with right mouse button and use Ctrl for deselection.

Objects are merged into one part with Modify\Attach tool. But keep in mind that one object can not exceed 64K vertices. You are allowed to have several geometry objects for one part, the exporter will merge them together into single part.

Most of points/locators for export are specified as positions of helper objects that are created via "Dummy helper" button on "Primitives" panel. The name of the dummy object you've created is likely to be important for the game (and you need an associated configuration for it in .sii file, so the game knows what this locator is for). If you are about to grab one from another model, quite likely you can grab an associated configuration from .sii files too.

If you pick a file for import and "Import" button gets dimmed, then the model is locked and can't be imported. This is a case with ZModeler-generated user models, it should not happen with original game models.

Before you import, it is advised to check "Paths and folders" guide topic here on forum, so you have a correct setup on import and will get correct setup on export. It's so easy to mess paths/folders names in exported model even if you made no changes, just imported and exported.
Mmeister

Post by Mmeister »

Alright, thanks for support. I found some tutorials and made some progress. Got my first bumper mod done so I'm quite happy!

Appreciated.
Mmeister

Post by Mmeister »

Can I ask one more question about collision models, the red wireframe boxes? I've managed to scale it in ''object'' mode, move the entire box, but cannot move the vertices of the box to extend it properly. What would be the trick. Thank you.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

These are primitives made of "Dummy helper" (check its properties). Primitives can not change shape, so you can't move vertices. Fortunately, the game allows to use convex geometry volume as a collision too. You can create and reshape any geometry object to act as a collision. Mind it should be simple and convex. You can use several objects to simulate complex shape with several collision volumes. A set of primitive-driven collision is always preferable.