Any detailed guide to convert .obj/.fbx to .pmg?

SCS Software ATS and ETS2 editing using ZModeler3 filter. Models, Materials, Animation.

Moderator: Oleg

Nimit4

Any detailed guide to convert .obj/.fbx to .pmg?

Post by Nimit4 »

Hi,
I couldn't find any detailed guide as to what you have to do step by step in order to convert models to .pmg. There's a lot of stuff that has to be converted at least that's what I know. Very new to Zmodeler-3.

Oleg and the team, I would appreciate your help!
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Any detailed guide to convert .obj/.fbx to .pmg?

Post by Oleg »

Unfortunately, this would require to cover quite a lot of things. There are general modding guides on scsforums, but it's still could be a bad track to follow.

I would suggest to import original models first and explore them. Scene setup, materials setup, export folders and files that are created and so on.

I strongly advice not to start with "new mod from scratch" task, it's very complex task to do with no previous modding experience. For example, the object you would like to have a truck paint in game requires to use specific material and need at least two UV texture mapping channels: one for primary texture (shades and details), another texture for skin mapping; and in most of cases a third UV channel for alternative (more detailed layout) skin textures. Additionally, geometry should have per-vertex color paint to dim and fade light on a geometry (pre-computed ambient occlusion). By default, .obj models are loaded with white per-vertex color and only one UV channel for primary texture. So, even adding an .obj model as a small accessory for truck's exterior could take quite a lot of steps and things to care of.