Vertexs not staying attached when extruding

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderator: Oleg

Zac

Vertexs not staying attached when extruding

Post by Zac »

I dont know how this happened, maybe I changed a setting by accident? Now when I extrude, the vertixes dont stay attached, when I try to move them, they are detached from the current object, does this make sense?
Zac

Re: Vertexs not staying attached when extruding

Post by Zac »

made a video to show what I mean, this has never happened before, made that whole model without it happening, only started having this issue today.

https://youtu.be/UF0wBHNbgLY
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

It's an option "Sharp edges" on Extrude tool. This is handy when you make a sharp turn on extrusion, so you don't need to make a seam slice on the edges later. In most of cases, this option is handy too when you extrude polygons upward/downward to the rest of surface.

Here are some speed-up tricks given the video.
1. you have an "Auto" button toggled in the bottom of ZModeler window. This mode will trigger Select\Quadr automatically when nothing is hovered under mouse cursor, so you don't need to pick Select\Quadr to select vertices, just start drawing a rectangle of selection with left mouse button and ZModeler will perform quadr-selection automatically. Additional benefit of this AUTO mode is when you drag-select "nothing", it will deselect everything. You can hold Shift to perform "add to selection", and hold Ctrl to perform "exclude from selection".
2. Hotkey Shift+D is a default hotkey for "Select\None" ("D"eselect).
3. "Extrude" (and "Detach") tools use "Move" tool inside. The Move tool has a build-in axes constrain on vertical and horizontal axes. Hold CTRL while Moving (Extruding, Detaching) and you will see a green and red lines constraining the movement (extrusion, detaching), so you don't need to toggle X, Y buttons every time.
Zac

Post by Zac »

Ok thank you Oleg.

So the issue im having now is I need to have sharp edges selected?
How come I'm having this problem only now? Did I change a setting by mistake?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

no, in your case (the case you've shown in a video) the option should be toggled off.
It is toggled on by default (and in most of cases, this is a preferred option)