Add multiple materials to a single object

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderator: Oleg

Tharn

Add multiple materials to a single object

Post by Tharn »

Please tell me how to add multiple materials to a single object without it replacing an already existing one. I select the object and open material broweser, select, drag and drop the new material I want to add but then it replaces one that I also need. I need them all.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Add multiple materials to a single object

Post by Oleg »

You can assign any available material onto polygons of an object. Switch object to polygons level, then select a group of polygons you would like to have certain material on them. Then assign desired material onto these selected polygons (Materials browser's "Scene selection" will act for selected polygons only).

When you select an object, the "Scene Selection" in materials browser shows a list of materials that are used on selected object(s) only.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

Yea I saw that but the polygons I need to add the new material to, already have another material assigned to them and if I select a different one; the older one won't be gone? I ask because other polygons list 'multiple materials'. I'm finding it very difficult to assign materials to polygons. I have 5 layers for each bodykit and I can't figure it out.

Was there not an option to assign materials to objects in zmodeler2 or even 1? That could be really useful, adding materials to objects from the material browser. would you consider making that possible again? Is there a way to turn a marker into a material? that could also work for me
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you can assign materials in materials browser. mostly the same as in ZModeler2 and ZModeler1. You still need to select objects or polygons in scene, so Materials browser knows what are you going to apply material to. Then drag&drop material in materials browser onto "Scene selection" entry on the left side of materials browser. This is an equivalent to an old-style "Assign to selection" button.

When you select an object or polygons, the properties window under "Mesh->Polygons" will show the material assigned onto these polygons. If several materials are used among selected polygons, there will be a "Multiple materials" option selected there (and if you expand it, you will see which materials and how many polygons are in use). You can still use a drop-down selection on "Multiple materials" entry to set the explicit material you want for this selection.

Each polygon = only one material to be used. Not sure what you mean by the phrase "I have 5 layers for each bodykit". I guess the bodykit uses 5 different materials in it at a time, correct? If so, then the "Drag&drop" material assignment could be a preferred option for you, as you can assign material #X just instead of currently assigned material #Y among these 5 materials in a bodykit. Just select the bodykit objects and expand "Scene Selection" branch in materials browser - it will show a list of materials used in selection (including "Material #Y"). Then pick new material #X, drag and drop it over "Material #Y" on "Scene selection" branch. this will cause new Material #X to replace Material #Y on polygons of bodykit where material #Y was used (and will not affect other materials assignment).
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

Oleg wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:42 am you can assign materials in materials browser. mostly the same as in ZModeler2 and ZModeler1. You still need to select objects or polygons in scene, so Materials browser knows what are you going to apply material to. Then drag&drop material in materials browser onto "Scene selection" entry on the left side of materials browser. This is an equivalent to an old-style "Assign to selection" button.
Yes, I understand I need to select parts/objects/polygons and that's what I do.
When you select an object or polygons, the properties window under "Mesh->Polygons" will show the material assigned onto these polygons. If several materials are used among selected polygons, there will be a "Multiple materials" option selected there (and if you expand it, you will see which materials and how many polygons are in use). You can still use a drop-down selection on "Multiple materials" entry to set the explicit material you want for this selection.
I need it to display 'multiple materials', not just the licenseplate one because all those are active components of the bodykits and are required for the model to look complete.
Each polygon = only one material to be used. Not sure what you mean by the phrase "I have 5 layers for each bodykit". I guess the bodykit uses 5 different materials in it at a time, correct? If so, then the "Drag&drop" material assignment could be a preferred option for you, as you can assign material #X just instead of currently assigned material #Y among these 5 materials in a bodykit. Just select the bodykit objects and expand "Scene Selection" branch in materials browser - it will show a list of materials used in selection (including "Material #Y"). Then pick new material #X, drag and drop it over "Material #Y" on "Scene selection" branch. this will cause new Material #X to replace Material #Y on polygons of bodykit where material #Y was used (and will not affect other materials assignment).
I just mean I have several bodykits, a default bodykit called 'kit00' spread across 5 layers, A, B, C, D and E. Then 3 wide bodykits (kit01, 02 and 03) with 5 layers too. Each one with both some common materials and different ones. That is the problem, if I replace one of those materials with the licenseplate, the model will no longer look complete. I simply need the ability to assign a new material, not replace. Selecting polygongs and assigning doesn't really work for me either. I hope you understand more now what I am trying to say, sorry.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

May you record a video instead, showing what you have, what you do and what you get?
I'm not getting what the problem is in at all. :(
"New" materials assignment onto objects is never a problem or any conflict with other materials/objects. May be we are talking about completely different things? In particular what "layers" in your explanation are? materials in materials browser? and the bodykit called "kit00" - is this an object (or a set of objects)?
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

I'll try to record the video. the bodykit kit00 is the default bodykit of the car, the main components of it are 5 sets of objects; kit00_body_a, kit00_body_b, kit00_body_c, kit00_body_d and kit00_body_e. Each has several materials, they share some, others are unique. a to d need the licenseplate material but assigning it with selecting polygons method is too difficult. I need a way to do this in the materials browser without replacing another existing material that has to be there, just need to add the licenseplate then leave everything else as is.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Tharn wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:52 am a to d need the licenseplate material but assigning it with selecting polygons method is too difficult. I need a way to do this in the materials browser without...
Then what do you expect ZModeler to do in such a case? you need to explicitly specify which material goes onto which polygon. no other way. if you need a licenseplate material on a to d components of some kit, then you need to specify ZModeler what polygons of what object(s) need to be drawn with this material. ZModeler can't guess where to put license plate material, as well as it can't put it to "nothing" for the kit to "use/have" it. material can only be associated with a polygon (or several polygons) on a geometry object, in this and only this case the material is used on a geometry.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

you're right, I can't expect zmodeler to guess what I want it to do. I tried assigning the material to the polygons I need to have it and it does show up and where I want it to be, just doesn't look the way it should so I asked some NFS modders for specific help. Hopefully they'll be able give me some guidance and I'll learn from them.

and I want to buy a license after testing the software for a couple of weeks since modding cars is something I want to do often but I'm not entirely sure about that as you were unable to reproduce the issue of zmodeler locking the taskbar so you can't solve/fix it if you don't know what triggers it.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

I bought a license and I am still experiencing the taskbar locking. And I was unable to finally record the video of what I was telling you the other day; I select a set of objects/parts and the corresponding materials only show up the first time, the other times I select different objects/parts when I open the materials browser, it's just the previous materials. I am unable to see other materials until I restart zmodeler.

Since my taskbar gets locked after I open zmodeler, when I try to record a video, any new windows I open (material browser, properties, etc) don't appear in the video, it's as if I had never opened anything.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Does the taskbar locking occur immediately after running ZModeler? or after opening Materials Browser? or after you close materials browser ? do you close or minimize materials browser? also, does any of these issue happen when you have properties window shown for material?

What is your windows version and do you run windows/desktop with multiple monitors?
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

Yes, it does occur right after opening zmodeler. Just opening triggers it, I don't even need to do anything inside zmodeler for it to happen.

I run on Windows 10 Home Single Language 21H2, no multiple monitors. It's a laptop.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

may be you can try compatibility wizard on the "zmodeler3.exe" file? right-click, then properties->compatibility, run compatibility wizard.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

Is there any kind of incompatibility with windows 10? I'm on a 64 bits machine, by the way. When I ran the wizard, it said I should try compatibility with windows 8 which I did but I still experience the same issue.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I can't say there is some sort of incompatibility, as other users do not report ZModeler locking taskbar. I have seen some inaccurate behavior of ZModeler when switching between applications (Alt+Tab) but it was hard to reproduce (it happened randomly). That's why I can't say the issue you've got is something common and can't give any kind of solution actually.

ZModeler3 was initially created for windows XP, then updated to windows 7. It was never build for higher windows versions, so it does not have anything specific to windows 8, 10, 11. Running ZModeler in windows 8 compatibility mode could be the best choice so far to prevent windows using any of its modern features in interaction with ZModeler.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

I wish I knew why this happens.
Tharn

Post by Tharn »

Just noticed it only happens when open windows are grouped/combined, if I set the taskbar to 'never combine/group', it doesn't get locked by zmodeler
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

hmm.. that's interesting. I had non-grouped appearance mode of taskbar on windows 10 earlier and switched to grouped mode on windows 11. and I don't see this option (to toggle on/off taskbar applications group mode anymore).