More Cores for Z-Mod3

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderator: Oleg

Harald-RS
Beginner

More Cores for Z-Mod3

Post by Harald-RS »

Hello Oleg,

when the Z-Mod 3 now supports all cores of the CPU, so that the UV mapping does not take so long?
Greetings
Harald
My System: PC Windows 11
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: More Cores for Z-Mod3

Post by Oleg »

some tasks do not benefit on parallelism because of excessive synchronization and blocking methods involved. introducing parallel tasks where they were not expected can produce unexpected problems. For example, geometry objects in ZModeler are not supposed to be accessed in parallel, as well as all direct3D calls in ZModeler are not expected to be run in parallel (e.g. uv-mapping update requires update of mesh buffers in video memory). It's a sort of re-designing entire application to be ready to do tasks in parallel to utilize all cores, it's not something to add in uv-mapper only.

Yet some "separate" tasks can run on all cores. for example, UV render is run on all cores, vertices prelit is also computed on all cores. editing UV is not something I could put on multiple cores. Even processing mesh in "Edit UV" tool is not something that can be run in parallel.
norskpl

Post by norskpl »

Would it be possible to add multi-core support to Material Editor, marking materials takes so much time when zmodeler uses only 20% of CPU. To mark 50 or more materials you have to wait sometimes even a whole day.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

may you please specify which task takes extremely long for ZModeler's Material Editor to complete/respond time, I'll check what could be optimized there.
norskpl

Post by norskpl »

Clicking on Unused materials cause long task when zmodeler starts to slowly marking unused materials. This is not a problem when there is small quantity of materials, but when it start to have a dozen or more of unused materials then it can even take a whole day of marking.

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

attach a smallest .z3d file that reproduces this problem please. it looks like it has something to do with scene too, as I can't reproduce it on empty scene and 40+ new (unused) materials.

or send me your .z3d file in private message - the file you have this problem with.