Importing OBJ and MTL Files

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderator: Oleg

keithd203

Importing OBJ and MTL Files

Post by keithd203 »

I've been importing obj files and in some cases I have no problems. I'm able to edit the model, adjust the material as needed, and export where needed.

Unfortunately in many cases the obj file appears without material because the mtl file does not apply to the model, and in a few cases I get the following message:

"Object "default" exceed maximum vertices per object limit: splitting into multiple objects. Undo block for "Import C:\Users\kd\Desktop\ATS Loads\New folder\Steel Coil\Coil+Pallet+Model.obj" has probably jammed. Please save your scene as .z3d file!"

What is the best way to import an obj file without issues?

Is there something I can do to correct the above messages?

Is there a way to open the mtl file and extract the material?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Importing OBJ and MTL Files

Post by Oleg »

Hello.

The .obj file created by 3DSMax might not follow OBJ file format properly. For example, when a reference to material file is specified inside a file, it might mess things up when the folder or file name has spaces. For example, you should avoid export to a file named "new scene.obj", instead use "new_scene.obj". Same goes for folder names, there should be no spaces.

One object in ZModeler is limited to 64K vertices, so when an object is being created from .obj file it is quite likely to hit this limit. You should split your scene to objects before exporting or export one object to one file. Also, an import "grouping mode" is the way ZModeler merges loaded geometry fragments into objects. There might be a wrong settings and ZModeler is trying to merge too many fragments into single object.

The warning about "jammed undo block" appears when some operation takes too long to complete. You can ignore this warning on a long task being performed by ZModeler (like long-time importing). This warning should be paid attention when you perform some quick tasks in ZModeler.
keithd203

Re: Importing OBJ and MTL Files

Post by keithd203 »

Awesome.....very helpful thanx!!!