Grainy skin texture and severed hand and neck

GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City discussion.

Moderator: Oleg

Sun2k

Grainy skin texture and severed hand and neck

Post by Sun2k »

Hi all :D

Do you know why the texture of the skin is grainy (see photos)? I think it's because of the normal map that I can't set up

And do you also know why the hands and neck are cut (see photos)? My Ped includes 2 parts (body + head and hand) which fits perfectly (original) on zmodeler3 but on gta5 we see the separate parts

Thank you
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Grainy skin texture and severed hand and neck

Post by Oleg »

The grainy texture is likely to be a bumpmap detail that the game applies on ped* shaders. These details are on "ped_detail_atlas" texture located in common.rpf/data. and the sample from the given atlas texture is selected according to blue value of your specular texture.

I've just made a post on this issue here:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11975&p=59756#p59756

Concerning the detached head and hand models, you need to paint weights perfectly on a seam. I don't have a good solution for this issue, but if this could be an option, you can do this as follows:

1. attach hands/head to torso. (this could be the problematic point, as the final mesh can not exceed 64K of vertices). If this is a problematic point, create a copy of torso model first, then delete most of torso polygons, except the very tips (belt of polygons) that are neighbor to hands and to head, the rest is of no interest and you can delete it. Then attach head/hands to this remaining "pieces" of torso.
2. switch new object to vertices level. Use Select\Open edges tool to select vertices on hands and on head that are neighbor to those remaining pieces of torso. In short - you need to select vertices on a seam where you get a problem in game, but you need to select vertices of head and hand (not vertices of ex-torso geometry).
3. use rigging\influence\copy tool on selected vertices (pick a tool and click on any of selected vertices. the tool will copy weights from non-selected vertices on matching positions - it will read weight from ex-torso geometry.

now you have an identical weight on vertices of head/hand on a seam matching weight on respective vertices of torso.
4. delete fragments that belong to ex-torso. you can use Select\Separated tool to select them quickly on vertices or polygons level.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Thank you very much for helping me .. :D

My whole PED does not exceed 64k of vertices

I don't really understand "switch new object to vertices level" but I selected "vertex" then I clicked on my PED. Then I selected "Open edges" and I selected vertices on head that are neighbor (see photo). Is that it and I continue with rigging \ influence \ copy tool on selected vertices?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

no, you've missed way to many steps from my explanation. here's a screenshot on how you can proceed if you don't hit 64K limit:
Attachments
weight_copy_from_attached.jpg
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Thank you..and sorry if I have trouble understanding because English is not my original language

When I try to select the vertices like you in step 2 with the "Open Edges" tool it selects the whole torso

What did I do wrong?
Attachments
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Your torso object is likely to be imported improperly. I assume its vertices are all disjointed. If you could re-import it again, mind to toggle option "Optimize vertices" (this relates to Wavefront .OBJ files and Collada .DAE files).

Or switch object to vertices level,
select all vertices
pick Modify\Submes\Weld tool, expand its options, toggle "multiple targets" mode.
click on any of selected vertices and specify options in flyout window:
distance = 0
uv distance = 0
normals angle = 10

from this moment on, open edges selector should select boundary edges only.

Also, on your screenshot the head/hands is not attached to torso.

Finally, if you have no experience with ZModeler, choosing such a mod as the very first project is a bad idea. you should try modding original game content first, because it is very complex to make a mode from scratch with no modding background or experience.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Yes I am a beginner but I would arrive ..

Sorry, I forgot to select vertices level

Here is what I have now (see photo)

I have a question:
Why when I simply attach the torso (uppr), the head + hands (accs) and the legs (lowr) to make a single body and I launch the Ped, then gta5 crash
Attachments
1.PNG
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

First of all, you were not supposed to run the model with everything attached to a single model. Attaching is to get weights copied across different models (weights on a seam between two objects can not be copied from one object to another. It can be done withing single geometry object only). So, attaching models together is to copy weights on a seam. Once it's done, you should detach parts again or remove unnecessary fragments and restore scene hierarchy (head/hands, legs, torso etc.)

Second, adjust settings for "normals length" so a shorter normals are shown.

Third, open edges are shown with bolder mesh lines, so you clearly see where vertices are joined together (faded wireframe lines betwen vertices) and where they are disjointed (full-strength solid lines). The image below shoes where open edges are.

These are a kind of vertices you can click to select with Open Edges selector.

You still need to capture the main idea on what are you doing: you need a tiny chain of vertices on a hand (on an open edge) to be selected (only those few vertices), each of selected vertex has a neighbor on an arm model (and these are not selected); Once you have vertices on "hand-to-arm" connection seam selected, and only vertices of hand (not an arm) on this seam are selected, the weight copy tool (click on any of selected vertices) will do the trick. It will copy weights from non-selected matching arm vertices onto selected hand vertices on this seam, so matching vertices will have identical weights assigned. As a result, there will no gap appear on a model in game when model is animated.

that's what you do. In fact, you can select these vertices one by one with select\Single tool and using Ctrl key to tap when mouse hovers a wrong vertex under cursor.
Attachments
normals_length.jpg
open_edges.jpg

Post by Guest »

Thank you very much, I tried to do it step by step but without success

Frankly it will be nice of you if you do a quick video tutorial and put it in your Youtube channel .. I would certainly understand with a video and it will be useful to others ..
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Hi, a video tutorial is not possible?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

no. I do not record videos as I don't have tools for it. and got no microphone too.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

However you need simple free video recording software and the sound will not be necessary so that I can understand..

I've been trying for several days but I haven't arrived .. I have however looked in other forums and on google but I found nothing .. Please ..
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Hi i tried again and this is what i did

1 / I attach the hand with the body
2 / I selected with "Open Edges" the vertices of the black line (the border between the hand and the body)
3 / I copied the weight by clicking on the selected vertices with rigging \ influence \ copy tool
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

On your screenshot selection looks wrong. I see the ring of selected vertices, however the red highlight on polygons go both to the hand and to forearm, while it should be on just one side. In particular, if you wish to copy weights from hand to forearm (torso model), red selection should be on forearm only. Either your model is incorrect (e.g. some vertices are weld together, even though they should not be after Attach tool), or your selection went wrong.

For example, if you deselect and hover one vertex on a "ring", do you see a blue highlight going on both sides (onto forearm and onto hand)? or just on one side?

Take a look at the screenshot I have posted above (the one in the middle) - red selection goes onto forearm only when ring-vertices are selected.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Oh thank you, I just understood

With the "Open Edges" tool you had to right click to select everything whereas before I had selected one by one

What do I do now ?
Attachments
S.png
ss.PNG
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Hello,

Then having done that, I copied the weight by clicking on one of the selected vertices, then I detached the hands and the head and I have restore scene hierarchy .. but the result is that the hands and the head are separated .. Any idea?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I suppose you have missed a very tiny step. once you detach an object, the newly-created geometry object have to be bind (rigging\skeleton\bind tool) to the same .skel object located in .global branch. Then you can export.

P.S. make sure to toggle off "Enable drag" option in "Detach" tool. Otherwise you might get detached object to be moved slightly by mistake and you'll get a seam in game again.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Thank you, yes I see ..

So if I understood correctly it is better to tie the hands and copy the weight before doing the rigging of my PED?

How did you untie your hand? Me I go into polygon mode and I select all the polygons of the hand then Modify / Submesh / Detaches, but it is complicated because when I select the polygons on one side it also selects the polygons of the forearm on the other side and vice versa
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you can select in any viewport, you can use Select\Polyline for selection of complex shapes. You can use Select\Separated on poly level to select fragment that is earlier attached to the mesh.

You can use deselection on all of methods above if you hold CTRL key down. For example, if you have left and right hands selected in side view, you can use CTRL and selection in front view to deselect the right hand.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Thank you