link cloth to kinematics without being attached to the mesh?

GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City discussion.

Moderator: Oleg

Sun2k

link cloth to kinematics without being attached to the mesh?

Post by Sun2k »

Hi all :D

I would like to add clothing to my ped but I do not want it to be attached to the mesh

How to make so that the garment which is added follows the ped when I move the ped with the reverse kinematics without this garment being attached to the mesh?

Thank you
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: link cloth to kinematics without being attached to the m

Post by Oleg »

can you elaborate the issue with more details and/or screenshots?

technically, cloth is a separated geometry, it does not need to be attached to the mesh object. For example. I used to test plain flat surface (Create\Grid) that was aside of the ped model, so it was visually and physically disconnected from the ped. however, the cloth is controlled by ped's skeleton, at least some points have to be controlled (otherwise entire cloth will fall through the ground).
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Hello and thank you :D

Here is a screenshot (it is not my character but it is for the example)

I didn't really understand your explanation.

I just want to put 2 different clothes on my PED while being able to change one or the other (see photo circled in red).

How to link these 2 clothes to my PED while being able to change one or the other but without being attached to the mesh?

Thank you
Attachments
maxresdefault.png
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

ok, I see now. The cloth is not made in game the way you expect it to be. Cloth on a ped is a part of the model, so a top on the right image should be made as a mesh with upper part of the ped (belly and arms). The ped in game is made of combination of "upper", "lower", "head", "hands" and "accessories". The cloth on a model should not be made as an accessory, as it will look bad in game. In short, you do need two geometry/meshes and you do need a cloth to be "attached" to a mesh on each of these upper-torso versions.

The rest is not related to ZModeler or model export, but you need to configure ped for the game to specify availability of several versions of upper/torso files. I suppose this is done in a metadata file (ymt) that should be edited according to your changes.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Thank you very much for these explanations

If I understood well, to do what I want (2 different clothes) then I must have 2 identical meshes? Is it true?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

In general, yes. You need a mesh that will connect properly to head and to hands (in case head and hands is/are different components of YDD file). You should mess around with some original ped models to get used to the technique of multiple variants/components.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Thank you :D