dials break like glass help

GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City discussion.

Moderator: Oleg

CareBerries

dials break like glass help

Post by CareBerries »

I've made my dials but they break like glass. it has fresnel in the material properties and I'm unsure what properties are needed to remove this glass like effect.
if i crash my dials look cracked.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: dials break like glass help

Post by Oleg »

fresnel is not related to glass shatter effect. this parameter strengths reflection under a very sharp view angles (like polished vehicle paint can reflect like a mirror when watching under a sharp angle).

remove "crash" user-defined property from material (if this material is used on something else too, create a copy of this material for dash/dials only).
you can remove a glass-like reflection by altering specular texture, as shininess and reflection strength are controlled by SPECMAP texture (red and green channels if I'm not mistaken).
CareBerries

Post by CareBerries »

Ive added collision to glass before using crash but cant find it on any of the materials im currently using. is there a different way to remove it? or is it best to try and remake the materials.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I'm missing a point... Do you need dials glass be able to crash, or you don't want it to crash? In most of cases, dials glass does not crash, as it has no collision. when you add a collision, the game will be able to collide it with other objects and bullets. adding "CRASH" user-defined option will trigger visual effect of glass shattering and could create holes in shattered glass like on vehicle windows. that's what "CRASH" user-defined option used for.

Adding "CRASH" user-defined option on material will give the game a hint what material should get a second texture layer of shattered glass when effect is emulated. For example, vehicle glass is made of two materials: vehicle_glass_inner (drawn first) and vehicle_glass (for exterior, drawn later). And only vehicle_glass material has "CRASH" user-defined options - this is the material the game applies shatter-look texture when window is crashed on the first impact.

So, it's not a question of whether to redo materials or not. it's about what are you trying to get in game as the final result.
CareBerries

Post by CareBerries »

i dont want it to break but it does. how do i fix this? i have my vehicle_dash_emissive for the arms of the dials and vehicle_mech for the dials base.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

remove collision from dials object, it will no interact with bullet tracing then.
CareBerries

Post by CareBerries »

how would i go about removing that? its just currently if im driving and crash into a wall the dials crack like glass. i want it to just be intact. thank you for responding so quickly btw <3
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

in a hierarchy of objects, do you have anything inside "dials" part ? e.g. dials [COL] or something like that? make a set of screenshots so I get the situation better.

if you have nothing in "dials" part, then I advise to select this object, open materials editor window, pick the associated material (it will be listed in the left side on "Scene selection" branch. Then create a copy of this material. Expand properties of this material and remove "Crash" user-defined option. Then assign this newly-created material onto scene selection (drag&drop onto "scene selection" branch on the left side.

If i'm not mistaken, vehicle's dash_emissive material does not break like glass by default. so setting things up to default state (like no "crash" on material and no collision for dials part) would probably solve the issue.

also, if you switch dials object to polygons level and select any polygon (that appears to be able to crash in game), what is shown in Properties window on External State -> ID ? If I'm not mistaken, it should be 0. Otherwise, the game could consider this polygon as some vehicle's external light like turn signal or something like this.
CareBerries

Post by CareBerries »

i took your advice but to no luck external state on polygons are 0
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

On your screenshot I can see an object selected, so properties are shown for the object itself (in particular, amount of polygons and vertices shown). You should switch an object to polygons level (polygons mode), select polygons of the dashboard/dials and then examine the ID value.

Other than that, what is the reason for dials/dashboard to be an "extra_8" part? is it customizable part that could be installed/removed in game?

Also, on your screenshot, in User-defined options on material are not shown fully, can you scroll down the list to ensure there is no "Crash" user-defined entry in a list?
CareBerries

Post by CareBerries »

also the external ids are zero in and out of polygon mode. Im unsure what you mean by extra_8 how can i change that?
do i just rename it to dials?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

..i meant "misc_b".
may you show a set of screenshots from in game? a good and damaged dashboard.
CareBerries

Post by CareBerries »

sorry for late response had some irl issues but here you go!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

may be you should try to use "vehicle_dash_emissive" Adaptation instead of "vehicle_light_emissive" ?