[SOLVED] Collision problem

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
RPUCorne

[SOLVED] Collision problem

Post by RPUCorne »

Hello guys,

I have a problem with the colissions from my boat. So the problem is that I made a custom collision for my new boat that I am coverting right now but the collisions are not working on the world or the water, but it does work on objects that have their own collisions like cars and trailers. So I put the boat on a few trailers to test the collisions and it turned out that the collision works perfectly fine if you walk on the boat as you can see in the pictures below.

I hope someone can help me with this problem.
Thanks!

Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Collision problem

Post by Oleg »

you should have two collisions grouped together and converted to [COL] compound object.
the first of them should have no "Deformable" option toggled in properties->mesh->vertices->format. this collision is used for interaction with world and water (and in some cases with player/ped). Another collision should have "deformable" option toggled and is used to interact with other collideable objects (like vehicles, trailers and peds).

double collisions are quite tricky to get used to, even more they are not well known and explored, assuming you have to assign correct options on them too. however, it is worth to explore original boat collisions to see how they are made and what properties are used.
RPUCorne

Post by RPUCorne »

Thank you for helping me!

So I explored the original boat collisions to see how they are made like you suggested me, and I finaly got it working.
(the collisions are perfect :)) But now I have the problem that the boat don't float the way I want as you can see on the pictures below. (It float and sails well but the boat is far too deep in the water)

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

may be it somehow relates to vehicle's meta or "E" values on collision objects? have you tried to copy "E" value from original (perfectly similar in size) boat's collision?
RPUCorne

Post by RPUCorne »

Yes, I have copied the values from the original collisions.
I'm trying now to find something in the handling or the vehicles meta.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

try moving local axes of geometry objects vertically (up or down), as these are used as center of mass. it might be related to this issue.
RPUCorne

Post by RPUCorne »

I tried to move the local axes, it works a bit, but it does not give the effect that is desired. I have also found a rule in the handling.meta (<fBoxFrontMult value="0.900000" />) I changed it to 3.900000 and then you get the effect on the picture below. So it only lifts te front up.

tall70
Amateur

Post by tall70 »

Percentsubmerged value will also set your submerged depth, but boat handling was always sensitive and difficult to do... boat reactions to waves, steering, front of the boat lift while accelerating, leaning in turns, and more.
RPUCorne

Post by RPUCorne »

I have not done much more on the model because of the holidays.
But last night I downloaded the new 64 bit zmod, and when I started testing the model, the boat suddenly floats a lot better.
But after that was solved (probably by the new zmod because I have not changed much more) I got another problem that peds fall through the collision in some areas now.

The problem:

My collision in zmod:

So that is kinda weird, so I got a backup from when the collisions worked well, and I exported the model again with the "old" zmod and then I got the same problem as before (the boat is too deep in the water but collisions are fine).

Any ideas? :p

@tall70 Thanks for the tip but unfortunately this did not work sufficiently.
tall70
Amateur

Post by tall70 »

Is this deformation off collision on picture? Which is the one for walking...

I had wierd collision offset issues...it would be alligned with lods, but in game it would be shorter on one side and good on all others. I moved that affected side vertices in a little different position then I recalculated normals, everything became a fine... also make sure your axis is set to parent

Also...you would have much better result to make stairs collision as flat panel, especially if it's steep, because character stumbles over edges of those and to stabilize more your collision model it would be good to weld all those round edges into one corner, especially if it's deformable collision which needs to be as smallest as possible...check tug's collision model to see what i mean for stairs and simplicity. I was explained that deformable off collision can be more detailed, so you can add as much boxes to bounce around stuff as you want, but stairs just work better flat for player walking in pitch. Same goes for rails, they can be just panels, because player don't crawl through them anyways, but it will climb over nicely. I know that all means more work thou...['_']
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

tall70 wrote:...it would be shorter on one side and good on all others.
it sound like bad BVH (bound volume hierarchy) split of geometry (game traverses bound volume tree in wrong way and rejects some of collision geometry probably). the volume split done by zmod is not optimal, but i've tested it with additional dummy boxes earlier and it was correct during tests. also, there was a problem with "neighbor" polygons setup in earlier builds (3.2.0 has not this issue), have you checked it for this particular problem to be solved?
tall70
Amateur

Post by tall70 »

It happened only once to me about half year ago, not again later, i was staring at collisions model matching lods and didn't know why, but it fixed it self after i moved vertices little, then never happen to me again, thanks for explanations
TomcattersVF31
Beginner

Post by TomcattersVF31 »

I'm a bit lost here tbh... Worked fine (and works) fine with pre 3.2 ZModeler, but with the current version I got the exact same problem. So far on boats only. I tried modifying the mesh, recalculating, etc... But, nothing really works here.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

is it possible to reproduce this on a vehicle or something that I can spawn on a ground? may be a simple mod file for buffalo2 vehicle? (I use to test everything as a replacement of this car).
pnwparksfan

Post by pnwparksfan »

Oleg wrote:is it possible to reproduce this on a vehicle or something that I can spawn on a ground? may be a simple mod file for buffalo2 vehicle? (I use to test everything as a replacement of this car).
This problem happens when exporting pretty much any boat with the latest version of Zmodeler. It also happens with some planes. I believe it happens specifically on models which have duplicate collisions with separate flags (as boats and large planes do).

It's very easy to reproduce this problem: Just import the tug model into zmodeler 3.2.0, then export it and install it with OpenIV. Spawn it anywhere, even on land if you want. Get out of the driver's seat and you immediately fall through the model.

9Bz-lQ773Eg
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

i'll explore this issue few later, need to complete a task with cloth first. I do remember for this issue, other users have reported this problem too.
pnwparksfan

Post by pnwparksfan »

Oleg wrote:i'll explore this issue few later, need to complete a task with cloth first. I do remember for this issue, other users have reported this problem too.
Thanks. We are all looking forward to a solution! Can't wait to put some flags on our boats now that cloth is supported haha.
cegta

Post by cegta »

Oleg wrote:i'll explore this issue few later, need to complete a task with cloth first. I do remember for this issue, other users have reported this problem too.
Do you have any predictions when you correct this problem?
thank
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

not yet. however, its on top of my todo list.
FoxtrotDelta

Post by FoxtrotDelta »

top on todo list is great news for us.
Im no Expert i Learn New Stuff Everyday
pnwparksfan

Post by pnwparksfan »

Hi Oleg,

Will those of us who primarily work on boats and planes, models with collisions that are affected by this bug, be able to get an extra month or two added to our license? This bug has been going on quite some time now. As a software developer myself I understand it sometimes can take a while to figure out what is causing a bug and that this isn't your full time job. But being completely unable to export the main kind of models I work on makes it seem unfair to be paying for zmodeler during these months when we essentially can't use it. I hope you'll consider this.

Thanks,
PNWParksFan
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

no, this option is not considered. there is no even a fix to the moment.

you are always have an option to revoke and pause your license if you don't work with zmodeler.
cegta

Post by cegta »

Oleg hello
You could do a beta for all people edit add ship work because we had a lot of trouble.
just collision lights and cloth makes it demo type just add the basics to ships and plane I understand that algorithm programmer is headache more please please do it for please until you update all program features is good news that has a list that is good but does not say this to There are people who spend weeks and years to do boat or ship or plane etc

thank
CANAL EMBRAER
pnwparksfan

Post by pnwparksfan »

Well I understand your perspective here, but personally I think it's not very good customer service. Many of us spent quite some time trying to figure out if we had messed up our models ourselves before realizing this was a bug. That time is already lost, I can't go back in a time machine and pause my license from the moment this bug was introduced. And it worked just fine on 3.1.5, so it isn't like this is a new experimental feature with some minor issues; this is a major, new, debilitating bug for the software. You charge commercial subscription fees while offering hobbyist support. But oh well.

Where can I find instructions on how to pause the license while I wait for this to be resolved?
tall70
Amateur

Post by tall70 »

Maybe Availability of old versions of zmodeler in the future would solve these incidents, we could install them and ignore updates until problems are resolved