UV Channels (Sets) in exported models (.obj)

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.

Moderator: madga182

UV Channels (Sets) in exported models (.obj)

Postby debaser » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:05 am

I downloaded the trial version of Zmodeler a couple of days ago and opened the RPG model (extracted with OPENIV) in it and ran into problems regarding the textures and UV Maps upon export.

The model consists of the following files (afaik):

w_lr_rpg_hi.ydr
w_lr_rpg_rocket.ydr
w_lr_rpg_rocket.ytd
w_lr_rpg_rocket+hi.ytd
w_lr_rpg.ydr
w_lr_rpg.ytd
w_lr_rpg+hi.ytd

I opened the high detailed version (w_lr_rpg_hi.ydr) and appended the associated texture maps (w_lr_rpg.ytd & w_lr_rpg+hi.ytd). One texture map seems to be for tint only (although the map shows just grey colour opposed to the original colours) and the other map contains decals (stickers, screws etc.).

I tried to understand what Oleg writes in the documentation in this forum, but I seem to miss the point. That GTA models have their UV Maps saved in several channels? Now, how can I unwrap them and export them, so that they're all on several tiles when I import the .OBJ in my 3D program (Maya in my case)? When I export without doing anything in Zmodeler, I get on UV tile with all maps on top of each other.

Thanks for helping a newbie. :)
debaser

Re: UV Channels (Sets) in exported models (.obj)

Postby debaser » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:54 am

I still couldn't manage to export the model with its UVs. Apparently OBJ doesn't support multiple UV channels, so I tried to use COLLADA. But neither the FBX_DAE or OpenCollada Maya plug-ins can import the file into Maya. NOTHING gets imported at all and I went through all export options in Zmodeler, saving 10 different version and all of them fail!
Am I missing something, like, do I have to ALWAYS rename the top object in the hierarchy to the same name like the filename (if so, why?). Or do I have to consolidate all geo and drag drop onto the L0 button?

I get the following errors when I try to import the COLLADA formatted export:

file -import -type "OpenCOLLADA importer" -gr -ignoreVersion -ra true -mergeNamespacesOnClash true -namespace ":" -options "importUnits=1;importNormals=1;" -pr -importFrameRate true -importTimeRange "override" "/Volumes/.../rpg/exported/Neuer Ordner (2)/collada.dae";
// Error: file: /Volumes/.../collada.opencollada.ma line 78: The lightList ':lightList1' has no 'ln[0]' attribute. //
// Error: file: /Volumes/.../collada.opencollada.ma line 78: The lightList ':lightList1' has no 'ln[0]' attribute. //
// Error: line 1: Error reading file. //
// Read 2 files in 0.51 seconds.

Error in line 1? Line 1 says "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>" ???!!

Is there another way? Should I try the DETACH BY MATERIAL option, in order to get a seperate group of objects with their own UVs?
Zmodeler is very confusing. Are there any BEST PRACTICE recommendations for exporting models? I also tried 3DS export and I can get the model into Maya just fine, but also with all UV stacked on top of each other. Manually moving them onto their own respective UV tile (shell) can be very tedious. And I'm afraid that if I detach the polygons that are mapped with the second texture - that I'll have to manually remap them as a consequence afterwards?
debaser

Postby debaser » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am

I consolidated the geo into one mesh, named the mesh rpg_hi and exported it as rpg_hi.dae - still no import, no matter which export options I pick.
Finally, I picked selection polygon mode and selected by material those parts that are associated to the second texture and then detached those polys into their own group.
This works fine with 3DS, however I can't make advantage of Collada's ability to save vector color, which is unfortunate.
debaser

Postby Oleg » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:47 am

sorry for delay. i'll check this issue few later as current build of ZM does not match the one available in release and any changes/updates I make can't be released yet.
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby Oleg » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:16 am

try exporting just one mesh object first: dismiss compound object to extract meshes from it, unlink desired mesh object and delete all other objects, then make a test export. I don't know what causes max script to halt on import of .dae as the errors listed are not quite informative.
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby debaser » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:09 am

Thanks for trying to help, but I think the exporter is broken. I did what you wrote and also tried to import into Unity, which says "Mesh indices of rpg_hi are out of range!"
I also noticed that 3DS isn't a suitable format, because it doesn't hold normal information. :cry:
debaser

Postby Oleg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:59 pm

native .OBJ format supports just one UV and no per-vertex color. an extended version supports more uv channels and per-vertex color. ZM exports mesh with respect to mesh vertices format (whether it has 1 uv or more, whether primary color on or off). So, if you want to export .obj in compatible format, adjust mesh vertices format to 1 UV and no per-vertex color.
Oleg
Site Admin

Return to Grand Theft Auto V