help problem shiny object divided

SCS Software ATS and ETS2 editing using ZModeler3 filter. Models, Materials, Animation.

Moderator: Oleg

yandry

help problem shiny object divided

Post by yandry »

Hello, I have this problem, one side is brighter than the other despite having painted it correctly, and I check the material and the textures, I don't know what else to do. The only solution has been to delete that piece and copy from the opposite side, but I would like if there was a solution for a future problem

Harald-RS
Beginner

Re: help problem shiny object divided

Post by Harald-RS »

Your vehicle reflection is too high set it to 19
Greetings
Harald
My System: PC Windows 11
yandry

Post by yandry »

Harald-RS wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:44 am Your vehicle reflection is too high set it to 19
nope
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

check per-vertex normals there, check per-vertex color. If material uses BUMPMAP texture, it could be the cause too.
Mmeister

Post by Mmeister »

Hey Oleg, great explanation. However I would have more questions, about shading & reflections. I see in your Youtube videos how u make AO bake for MAN sideskirts for example, but then u also use Surface tab - Paint shading with ''bath tub'' for an entire Scania truck and also interior.
My question would be if someone could explain when and how to use these - do u ever combine: AO Bake + Paint, when and why? I found out for example that setting unfolded surfaces for AO bake takes a lot of time compared to Painting them. Does the Scania u Paint, have AO baked as well?

Oleg, could I ask u to also take a minute of your time and check some of the latest questions under your youtube videos. My user name is Sigouss. I would ask here, but Its hard to explain, best see timestamp on video. Thank u.

I'm sorry I know this is a begginer questions, but I don't know where to ask. I'm still learning how to make proper HQ models, so its not just strech and paste from SCS.
Mmeister

Post by Mmeister »

Happy New Year Everyone!

If may I borrow the topic for a question, since the problem seem similar.

There's a weird discontinuation of normal in the rear bumper upper part. I can be seen only in direct sunlight at the right angle.
I tried: normals, all 4 types - no effect, I tried coloring of vertices - no effect. Its seems that normal map affects the look of the trailer frame on the sun.

Somewhat ''fixed'' by slightly editing the UV#3 - but still not perfect.
Last edited by Mmeister on Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

normal map is used to evaluate lighting/shading, so it is very likely it could the the source if the problem.
For example, put a blank normal texture (solid rgb color: 128,128,255) instead of a used normal map and test in game - if the problem disappears, then the bump-mapping is the cause.
Mmeister

Post by Mmeister »

I tried placing in solid rgb as u suggested, but then whole trailer looks cartoonish and u can still see the split line in the middle under the sun light.

The normal map is ok, I believe the problem must be in the geometry, game not recognizing that its a continuous &/ mirrored. Sometimes it seems to be problem with mirrored parts in general, because I have use ''flip'' for the part to appear correctly in game - idk what is the trick, or my mistake when mirroring geometry, though none of the settings have worked correctly for me.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

if you have used to mirror an object, a Surface\Normals\Calculate is a must, as tangents direction have to be re-evaluated. Normals and Tangents are used to compute correct shading when Bump-map is used.
Mmeister

Post by Mmeister »

Ok. I'll try normals with mirrored geometry.
Mmeister

Post by Mmeister »

OK, so i tried to make a brand new part. A small console for hydroulic lines. I mirrored the part and this is the results with mirror settings as shown.
I did the mirror and pressed ''C'' (normals) and also did smooth normals.
What am i doing wrong... :oops:

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I don't know the entire workflow after the Mirror tool, but I think "Mirror axes" option should not be used.