Race Driver 3 .col track Files important!

ZModeler2-related discussion. General questions, howto, etc.

Moderator: Oleg

Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Race Driver 3 .col track Files important!

Post by Oleg »

May you remind me, what is the main purpose of all this job? what are you trying to do actually? I would like to know it whether the task you are trying to solve has any solution or not.

You have specified in the first post that you are trying to edit collision for the track. But what are the changes are you trying to make and what game are you going to have this all working in?

The .col specs you have sent (links in a post) are not quite accurate and yet the vertices and triangles data is readable (the geometry of collision model could be drawn), but the .col file contains game-specific data for quick hit-test on collision polygons that does not seem to be well sorted out. In other words, I do not see any straight ward way to create .col file from scene's geometry object.

The model export in game-compatible format (creation of .col file) is not like writing of a dozen lines of code (to load/draw .col file), it requires complete file format decoding and getting a full understanding of the logic the game expects from the data saved in. When the logic is now known, it requires a lot of testing with (probably with a lot of game crashes) to find the type of data the game will handle with no crash and run fine (give the game something that works somehow instead of correct and proper data it actually needs).

I guess you are going to have some new or modified tracks in a RD3 to ride on, but this is an extremely outdated game that I see no point to waste time for. Consider the (part of the task you need) .col import/export will take days of work or may be even weeks to make exported .col at least run in game. I can see someone have been decoding .col files data, so I guess you might get some coders that are interested in this game or someone like that?

So far, I have made the .col loading into ZModeler (probably you already have a tool that can read .col file to show geometry), this is the most that could be done with the given format decode level.
charlie323a

Re: Race Driver 3 .col track Files important!

Post by charlie323a »

please Oleg, do your best, make an editor or something for that.. after that i might be able to create new track.... maybe
resso