[WIP] GTAV: Lights

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: [WIP] GTAV: Lights

Post by Oleg »

does it actually change range when you export? (re-import and verify range in ZM again).

I've checked description of light info in my code and see nothing suspicious, relative to ranges. I haven't tested omni lights in game to be honest, used to deal with spotlights only. I've tried to import/export/re-import a .ydr file that has omni-light in it, and most of logged settings are retained. the range value I used does actually seem to be the range and no other value looks to be the range-controlling..

alternatively, you can try creating spot-lights from roof lamps pointing into the floor and adding a spot-light from mid-point height pointing up to the roof to emulate light "around" the rooflamp.

light name is insignificant, they are unnamed inside .ydr/.yft files.
tall70
Amateur

Post by tall70 »

thanks for response again

I tested reimport which shows all values same as i done them, only thing it imported lights twice if i imported both hi and reg. YFTs
I also reexported this after i removed one set of lights to try in game, but it was same.

i tested SPOT lights with same result, i must be doing something else wrong, i have set range to touch seats but not floor and it shines way bellow the bus

tall70
Amateur

Post by tall70 »

Inserted pictures get cut off on right side, i had UDO window there, but you might don't need it
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

if I'm not mistaken, GTA uses attenuation values 1,1,1 while ZM uses default 0,1,0.
tall70
Amateur

Post by tall70 »

Does it mean anything for a range? It seems in game no matter what value I give to range it stays the same and attenuation is beginning at the same Edge towards Center. I'm assuming edge of cone or sphere in ZM supposed to represent same edge of light in game, so when it's set as you see on ZM pictures it shouldn't reach that much further in game.

Really I'm not sure if range settings is something which supposed to 100% work, or u were guessing
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

there are several values in light definition that looks like range, current export sets one of them to be a range. game engine might have a different meaning for the range value, allowing light to emit even further. have you tried attenuation values I've specified already?
tall70
Amateur

Post by tall70 »

Attenuation values in properties/configuration i never touched, i just double checked, they original 0, 1, 0, ...only attenuation i changed is in user-defined options Power, number on right, so there on previous page, the very bottom pic, bottom half, has set number on right in power to about 50 instead 0, pic above shows that setting 0 which is the TOP half of bottom picture in game ... I understand you have other things to do, but please let me know here at some point if there is something else i can do to set range correctly.

edit: i just noticed pictures are showing in full size now and you can see above configuration windows with attenuation values
sergi

Post by sergi »

Nice work! I have a question, is there a way to change the resolution of the shadows being cast by these lights, or is that an unrelated value?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

there might be something related to shadows quality, but I haven't inspected data for this particular effect to get changed in game.
sergi

Post by sergi »

Oleg wrote:there might be something related to shadows quality, but I haven't inspected data for this particular effect to get changed in game.
Ok. Would be awesome if you did, the shadows at night (especially by street lights) are very low quality, many people including myself complained about it, would love to see it improved.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

does shadow quality change after import/export of streetlight object?
sergi

Post by sergi »

Oleg wrote:does shadow quality change after import/export of streetlight object?
There is a flag that always appears by default which is flag 8 in the user defined options, it makes shadows so blurry they become nearly invisible. If I remove it, it looks like normal.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized that many objects stop casting shadows completely if I remove that flag. But if I don't, the shadows are completely blurred out. Is there a way to fix this?

Here's an example:
Top is vanilla, middle is after exporting without any changes, and bottom is after removing the 8 flag

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I'll inspect the case with "Flag 8", may be it enables/disables cast shadows for specific object types (static properties, dynamic properties etc.)

Concerning the blurred shadows, the issue is resolved. Get an update.
Light property will have an extra user-defined option named ShadowBlur with values ranging from 0 to 255 where 0 is no blur (default on top screen) and 255 is highest blur (middle screenshot). any value in given range can apply.
sergi

Post by sergi »

Oleg wrote:I'll inspect the case with "Flag 8", may be it enables/disables cast shadows for specific object types (static properties, dynamic properties etc.)

Concerning the blurred shadows, the issue is resolved. Get an update.
Light property will have an extra user-defined option named ShadowBlur with values ranging from 0 to 255 where 0 is no blur (default on top screen) and 255 is highest blur (middle screenshot). any value in given range can apply.
Great work! That solved the problem. The problem with flag 8 was that it caused the blur, but now that the blur is a separate value, the flag is good and all shadows are working as vanilla. Thanks!
Now if it would be possible to make the shadows render a higher resolution + fix the collision problem with street lights, it would be an amazing improvement to the game in my opinion.

I have another question, I'm messing with some street lights that have a concrete base that is not meant to be destructible at all, but after exporting becomes destructible. How can I make the object indestructible again?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

specify me a location of these streetlight files in openiv, and if possible the nearest to franklin's aunt house, so I could check them in game. I used to test prop_streetlight_01.yft only that is nearby this house.
sergi

Post by sergi »

Oleg wrote:specify me a location of these streetlight files in openiv, and if possible the nearest to franklin's aunt house, so I could check them in game. I used to test prop_streetlight_01.yft only that is nearby this house.
It's "prop_streetlight_05_b" in v_traffic_lights.rpf, they can only be found at Vespucci beach I believe
sergi

Post by sergi »

I just noticed that it's no longer possible to change Configuration of lights, the values keep reverting back after closing the window. Did something break in the updates?

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't know what changed but it's working now.
onezolver

Post by onezolver »

Hi. I found that some objects in game have self illumination. Some road, objects from stunts, and so on. It illuminate when night time with yellow color light. And that looks not realistic for some scenes. I didnt find any relative parameter affecting. Do you have any idea what could i change to disable it?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

i guess this is a general-purpose post-FX overlay on entire screen, does not relate to particular model or its materials. On the other hand, you can import any of these models and take a look at material shader assignment. if it has something like emissive_nightonly, then game does add some emissive effect at nighttime (emissive_nightonly is used on buildings to draw night-time version of light in windows).
onezolver

Post by onezolver »

Oleg wrote:i guess this is a general-purpose post-FX overlay on entire screen, does not relate to particular model or its materials. On the other hand, you can import any of these models and take a look at material shader assignment. if it has something like emissive_nightonly, then game does add some emissive effect at nighttime (emissive_nightonly is used on buildings to draw night-time version of light in windows).

Tnx, Oleg. But, i didnt find any emissive effect in shader which could be make difference with other not illuminated object. Just one attribute - may be all of them is stone-like. Road, asphalt, concrete. I think they have some setting in ydr.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

You can see material settings inside OpenIV when you pick "more information" -> shaders -> and pick a shader from a list. no other information related to rendering/emissive strength avail.
onezolver

Post by onezolver »

Example is here https://youtu.be/2Ndiiit5ghc
stunts staff and road from addonprop mod have self illumination , but any tubes from stunts - doesnt. looks stupid for night scenes and map making. trying change specular no results
XBR410

Post by XBR410 »

I'm having an issue with the configuration window where it will not save any changes after clicking apply similar to sergi in a previous post in the thread, reverts back to original. reinstalled zmodeler and ran as admin to make sure but the issue persists for me.
TomcattersVF31
Beginner

Post by TomcattersVF31 »

XBR410 wrote:I'm having an issue with the configuration window where it will not save any changes after clicking apply similar to sergi in a previous post in the thread, reverts back to original. reinstalled zmodeler and ran as admin to make sure but the issue persists for me.
Has there been any word on this? It still doesn't work and it bugs me that I can't change colors and other options :/
Felipin017

Post by Felipin017 »

very good