Textures not being used by zmodeler

Discuss ZModeler 1 series issues here, ask for help and help others to become advanced users

Moderator: Oleg

ModHD

Textures not being used by zmodeler

Post by ModHD »

Hello guys,

I am using zModeler to create a car for GTA 5. A police Car to be exact. I have successfully imported an entire CVPI. Which wasn't that hard. My only problem is that I converted a WFT. GTA IV File to a .Z3D File and that file is actually a 3D model of a ALPR System ( Automated License Plate Recognition ). The Bottom of zModeler keeps telling me that the textures are missing even thought I have imported them through the texture browser... So what am I doing wrong?

Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Textures not being used by zmodeler

Post by Oleg »

put them into the same folder as .z3d file.
ModHD

Post by ModHD »

Oleg wrote:put them into the same folder as .z3d file.

Dear Oleg, It still won't bring up the textures.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

open a file (with a list of error messages on missing texture), then open textures browser, pick textures on by one and use "Replace..." command to load an associated texture file manually. Then save .z3d again.

Additionally (or alternately), you can toggle option "Settings -> General -> Files -> Store textures" to enable storing needed textures inside .z3d file.
ModHD

Post by ModHD »

Oleg wrote:open a file (with a list of error messages on missing texture), then open textures browser, pick textures on by one and use "Replace..." command to load an associated texture file manually. Then save .z3d again.

Additionally (or alternately), you can toggle option "Settings -> General -> Files -> Store textures" to enable storing needed textures inside .z3d file.
Neither of these options worked.

What I had done was I had imported these files into zmodeler 2. I didnt touch the 3d Items. I them converted them to .Z3D without making any changes to textures or anything. The CVPI imported correctly but im still not able to get the textures for the ALPR or any other item that i exported from zModeler 2.

P.S. When I import these individually they don't have any error messages, but they already have the textures in the texture browser.

I also get error "Extra Slot Occupied for texture layer 3 in Material scanner.mesh"
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

zmodeler3 has a very different materials inside, so loading a zmodeler2 .z3d file could come with some errors.

Once you load a .z3d file created by ZModeler2, you should convert materials to "Shader materials" in Materials browser by selecting them all and double-clicking on "Shader material" in a left side of browser;

Then you can reload missing textures and they should appear on respective materials.

Another way to force zmodeler3 use pre-loaded textures when opening .z3d file is to use File\Merge command. Thus, you can preload your png textures in empty scene and then file\merge to load your .z3d file.
ModHD

Post by ModHD »

Oleg wrote:zmodeler3 has a very different materials inside, so loading a zmodeler2 .z3d file could come with some errors.

Once you load a .z3d file created by ZModeler2, you should convert materials to "Shader materials" in Materials browser by selecting them all and double-clicking on "Shader material" in a left side of browser;

Then you can reload missing textures and they should appear on respective materials.

Another way to force zmodeler3 use pre-loaded textures when opening .z3d file is to use File\Merge command. Thus, you can preload your png textures in empty scene and then file\merge to load your .z3d file.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thank you so much sir.
ModHD

Post by ModHD »

Oleg wrote:zmodeler3 has a very different materials inside, so loading a zmodeler2 .z3d file could come with some errors.

Also do you know how I can darken the new texture? its showing up light gray. Thanks!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you can set grey color on material's "Diffuse color";

additionally, you can paint per-vertex color to grey color (default is white). Ensure "Properties->Mesh->Vertices->Format" has "Diffuse color" toggled; then use Surface\Paint\Color tool: switch object(s) to vertices level, select all verts, expand properties of "Color" tool - set desired color and press "Fill Selected". Then export and test in game.
ModHD

Post by ModHD »

Oleg wrote:you can set grey color on material's "Diffuse color";

additionally, you can paint per-vertex color to grey color (default is white). Ensure "Properties->Mesh->Vertices->Format" has "Diffuse color" toggled; then use Surface\Paint\Color tool: switch object(s) to vertices level, select all verts, expand properties of "Color" tool - set desired color and press "Fill Selected". Then export and test in game.
I researched your tutorial on youtube, Props for that! The thing is I followed your instructions as the video said but I still get these messages. I am SO close to finally getting this out of zmodeler!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Your materials are not properly converted. Each material requires a conversion or at least an in-game shader adaption assignment. In ZModeler2 it was done on material name by appending shader name like "mesh" in a tail. In ZModeler3 a dedicated field "Adapt" is available on material tile. You can type shader names you need, or use a script convertor by pressing a big button in top-right corner (material with gears).

This relates to warnings "undefined adaptation" and an error "Can not obtain shader material from ...".

warnings on missing texture slots on some materials should also be fixed by assigning textures onto associated texture slots. If your material uses a shader with bump-mapping, a BUMPMAP slot should have a texture in it. You can use dummy textures like univ_normal (or blank_normal, can't remind an exact name), and/or use grey/white/black dummy textures on DETAIL/SPECMAP slots if you don't have an associated texture for your material.
ModHD

Post by ModHD »

Oleg wrote:Your materials are not properly converted. Each material requires a conversion or at least an in-game shader adaption assignment. In ZModeler2 it was done on material name by appending shader name like "mesh" in a tail. In ZModeler3 a dedicated field "Adapt" is available on material tile. You can type shader names you need, or use a script convertor by pressing a big button in top-right corner (material with gears).

This relates to warnings "undefined adaptation" and an error "Can not obtain shader material from ...".

warnings on missing texture slots on some materials should also be fixed by assigning textures onto associated texture slots. If your material uses a shader with bump-mapping, a BUMPMAP slot should have a texture in it. You can use dummy textures like univ_normal (or blank_normal, can't remind an exact name), and/or use grey/white/black dummy textures on DETAIL/SPECMAP slots if you don't have an associated texture for your material.
Wow I ask all the dumb question in your video toturial you literally showed me how to fix the textures. They Look Awesome!! But Im stuck again... What are these ID's???

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

these are object name's ID used by game engine for scripting parts behavior. If your model uses its own part names, they will have random IDs and can't be scripted by the game (e.g. you can't name my_door_lf, as the game will try to script "door_lf" for driver entering vehicle animation). So, these warnings are no problem, unless you miss/delete some original part names.
ModHD

Post by ModHD »

Oleg wrote:these are object name's ID used by game engine for scripting parts behavior. If your model uses its own part names, they will have random IDs and can't be scripted by the game (e.g. you can't name my_door_lf, as the game will try to script "door_lf" for driver entering vehicle animation). So, these warnings are no problem, unless you miss/delete some original part names.
Ok, well I only see the addons to in Police.yft but in police_hi.ytf I see the whole car. Ingame the game crashes. whats my mistake?

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you should export both files from the same scene. The scene should show your hi-detailed vehicle when L0 button on structure panel is pressed; it should show low-res model when L1 is pressed. When scene setup is correct (as specified above) the export to police.yft and police_hi.yft will give correct result in openiv.

the topmost node in hierarchy should be named police_hi and an export option "Export LODs" should be set to "Autodetect".
ModHD

Post by ModHD »

Oleg wrote:you should export both files from the same scene. The scene should show your hi-detailed vehicle when L0 button on structure panel is pressed; it should show low-res model when L1 is pressed. When scene setup is correct (as specified above) the export to police.yft and police_hi.yft will give correct result in openiv.

the topmost node in hierarchy should be named police_hi and an export option "Export LODs" should be set to "Autodetect".
My Hierarchy is correct and so is the export option. I Imported Police.ytf and then I finally see the entire vehicle in L1 too. Also its works fine in open iv. I see the textures and the whole car. BUT GTA V Is now crashing when I spawn the vehicle, and The Police.ytf file is LARGER then Police_hi.ytf,

UPDATE: So when in L1 im actually not even supposed to see the car. BUT!!!! I do see the addons!!! How Do i make the addons only appear in L0?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

L0/L1 objects are shown with respect to availability of geometries for L0/L1 on compound objects. You should create a dummy for an object (that you wish to depend on L0/L1), toggle off L0, L1, and all other states and use "Convert to compound" on this dummy. then send your meshes for L0 and L1 onto this compound object as shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x07ZDfq0BA