Sketchup problem

Technical issues and help in: forum registration/posting, account creation/confirmation, platforms and licenses issues.

Moderator: Oleg

GTAfan21

Sketchup problem

Post by GTAfan21 »

Oleg, I got another problem. Sketchup supports 3ds files. Zmodeler 2 has that. It looks alright in Zmodeler. but when in Sketchup it's just the Alloy Wheels.

Here is the model in Zmodeler:

Here is the model in Sketchup:

Please help guys.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Sketchup problem

Post by Oleg »

I can't remind whether .3ds plugin in ZModeler2 has some specific limitations, may be it goes wrong on exporting hierarchy. I can recommend to disassemble hierarchy to have just a list of geometry parts - get rid of dummies and hierarchy tree (child/parent relations).

Also, .3ds is limited on object names (18 chars) and material names (12 chars). Rename materials to Mat#01, Mat#02, Mat#03 etc. It also has a limitation on texture names (12 chars), but these are automatically renamed on export when exceeded.
GTAfan21

Post by GTAfan21 »

Thanks Oleg. I thought there would be another way. I also had ZModeler 3. That has a .dae exporter and Sketchup also supports that. So I opened it up in ZModeler 3 and exported it to .dae. Same thing that happened but even worse. NOTHING! I guess I'll try it your way.
GTAfan21

Post by GTAfan21 »

Sorry for the late but I did it your way I lost parts of the car. Help me. :?: :?:
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Oleg wrote:...I can recommend to disassemble hierarchy to have just a list of geometry parts - get rid of dummies and hierarchy tree (child/parent relations)...
and then export objects one by one.