Help setting up ZModeler on new computer

Discuss ZModeler 1 series issues here, ask for help and help others to become advanced users

Moderator: Oleg

Help setting up ZModeler on new computer

Post by Guest »

I had to register here in hopes of getting some help getting Zmod up and running on my new computer. I have used this program for years to view paint jobs for the NASCAR Racing 2003 game. But I have been trying to get the program set up on my new computer and only today have I made a bit of progress. I had to use the Force Software option in order to see the 3d model, but it is very slow reacting. I know my hardware is way above what I used to use on my old system, so I dont think the problem is there. When I try to select my select my device from the 3d view options, I see my card there, but when I choose it, nothing changes and the program reverts back to the RGB Emulation. Any hlep I can get will be greatly appreciated, I'm getting a back log of paint requests lol. Thanks!
cnyle

Re: Help setting up ZModeler on new computer

Post by cnyle »

I guess I forgot to sign in before I made the new post, sorry.
cnyle

Post by cnyle »

I would like to add, trying to figure things out more, my 3d model seems like it is rotating around a central axis point, but if I use my mouse to bring the car in closer it either goes off the screen, almost "behind" me or, I loose half of the car that I can see. I really don't understand what is going on here, so I'm sorry if this does not make sense.
cnyle

Post by cnyle »

I'm going to give it one more go at explaining whats going on the best that I can. I have the moving slow problem fixed, but again my 3d model is, and this is the best way I can explain it, but it seems like the model starts out on the wrong side of its orbiting axis. I have to zoom out until the model is almost 1/2 of of inch big on my screen, then I have to keep bringing it closer, all the while making sure it does not "flip" around. To me, this does not even make sense, but I hope someone here might have heard of a problem like this. Thanks.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

when you zoom closer, the camera is moved toward the camera target point. The target point initially is in a center of scene (0,0,0 point), but you can move camera target hold the middle mouse button (wheel) pushed (or both left and right buttons pushed). having a camera target focused on another point might help you zoom closer to some details.

another important thing is a camera's front clipping plane, the plane that clips geometry "too close" and behind the camera. When you zoom (and camera moves toward), clip plane reaches the model you you see it sliced model. There is one trick to prevent this behavior: the "filed of view". When you change field of view (camera lens), camera cam move far far away, but can still show you a model on high zoom. Hold down Shift key, right mouse button and move mouse up/down to change field of view. You will see the "prespective" changing to "isometry". The more "isometry" the view, the further camera was moved away. The further away - the higher zoom you can reach before "clipping" will occur.

Also, regarding your explanation - I guess you were talking about ZModeler v1.x ? It requires DirectX 7 and might not work correctly on modern OS like Win 8, 7 or vista.

Post by Guest »

Thank you very much for your reply Oleg, after I tried what you suggested, I still couldn't get what I was looking for. I did find out though in my camara settings I chose the reset position option, and that got everything fixed. Thank you again.
cnyle

Post by cnyle »

I forgot to sign in again, thanks once more.