Need help creating a road with spline tool

ZModeler2-related discussion. General questions, howto, etc.

Moderators: Oleg, _RicH_

Need help creating a road with spline tool

Postby PinkShiet » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:23 am

Hi guys. i've using Zmodeler2 several years just for editing simple mods, but I had never learn properly how to use all the tools.

Im going back editing things and trying to model myself ideas, but Im stuck creating a road and their turns. I want to use high quantity of polygons for doing it smooth. Already Im using the technique of extrude and rotate for bending the road turns, but its too lazy and slow to do a big track with a lot of polygons on every turn.

Think I can do better using the spline tool for make the curves and use Surface > Loft to create a road, but I do something wrong.

http://www.zmodeler2.com/docs/program/l ... lines.html

I dont understand how to create a cross-shape on the spline. I appreciate if any can explain me how to do it

Thanks all!
PinkShiet

Re: Need help creating a road with spline tool

Postby Oleg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:21 am

cross-shape is a spline too. Just align its starting point with the starting point of path spline. spline point IDs will be transferred to generated surface's poly IDs, so you can easily select "lanes" of polygons using "Select\ByID" later on. Not sure on this, but it could be possible this ID will get associated material to be assigned (default material = 0, the one after it = 1 and so on).

loft surface creation will automatically move cross-section spline shape to the path segment, so setting them close as initial step is preferred choice. Also, following the path can cause cross-shape to perform unintended rotations (lean left or lean right in turns), you can prevent it by using "Lock axis: Y" to prevent cross-shape Y axis to turn (only X and Z will turn keeping Y-axis straight up all the time).
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby PinkShiet » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:54 am

You a master Oleg, me only a padawan... Excuse me, dont understanding at all.

The problem for me is the same. I understand you explain but cant do it, dont know how to get the cross shape.

Cross shape its needed for what I want? I tried to align the 1st spline, whit 2nd spline (cross-shape I think), so opens the splines creation mode window. Thats not you want to show me, I think.

Im not doing nothing correctly, going to try later and show you what I do with some screenshots.

Thanks for your patience, I dont have the knowledge of 3d and Zmod basics and its difficult for me to do your steps.
PinkShiet

Postby Oleg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:08 pm

create a spline with several clicks of create\spline\strip tool (just ordinary path spline). right-click to commit creation; then create another spline in top view with several clicks; right-click to commit. then pick create\surface\loft and click on path, then on another spline. a surface will get created; undo and move/rotate cross-section spline and apply Loft again, so you see how initial setup/placement of splines affect surface creation.
Oleg
Site Admin

Return to ZModeler2 General Discussion