Vertices break when importing .3ds file

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.

Moderator: madga182

Vertices break when importing .3ds file

Postby GTAWiseGuy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Hello,

I've been using Zmodeler3 for quite some time so I'm fairly fluent when it comes to importing models into GTA.

However, I often find that even though there are no hard edges/split edges/ or broken vertices for my models in 3ds max, whenever I import them into Z modeler, some seem to have random broken vertices?

The element selected in 3ds max shows where there should not be any split edges on the polys highlighted in red however, if you look at the one in zmodeler it's split in random places on those polys and in other various places over the object.

FYI, I have reset x-form before exporting and there are no UV seams in those areas either. When I export as .3ds and reimport to max the seams are not there either nor are the extra vertices.

Though I have discovered from the selecting the vertices in Zmod that they have differing normals.

Upon further inspection, I found that the single vertex did have two normals in 3ds max which is what I thought might be splitting each vertex to multiple with their own normals when importing into Zmod:

So I tried to unify the normals for that vertex to create a single normal handle for the one vertex via unify normals with the Edit Normals modifier:

However, after unifying the normals, exporting as .3ds and importing back into Zmod; the vertices are still split.

You could argue that I could go through each vertex and weld the broken ones but this is very time consuming. I've noticed the weld vertices has UV tolerance and a handy feature that makes welding vertices dependent on the angle between normals which is great for broken vertices close to intentional split edges that have an abrupt angle. However, a lot of the parts that have these split vertices close to purposely split edges have a shallow angle and I can end up welding the split edges that I want to be there. Trying to work around the split edges is also very tedious.

So, just wondering if anyone can help in terms of fixing the problem in max before importing or if there is a tool I can use in z mod to fix the vertex's that have been split unintentionally on import.

Thanks,
Robin (GTAWiseGuy)
GTAWiseGuy

Re: Vertices break when importing .3ds file

Postby GTAWiseGuy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:15 pm

Update:

After unifying the normals on the model, exporting as .3ds and reimporting into 3ds max the vertices in question have more than one normal again. It seems .3ds doesn't store the normals information after unifying them and resetting x form before exporting.
GTAWiseGuy

Postby vans123 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:01 pm

3ds/dae/obj are obsolete formats. Newer formats like fbx wouldnt give these problems. Asked for oleg to add support for newer formats but he didnt reply at all
vans123
Beginner

Postby Oleg » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:41 am

fbx is under consideration but I can't say whether it will be implemented or not. You should not consider .dae as obsolete as it's quite flexible format and should work fine in most of cases.

3dsmax export to .dae and .obj produce incorrect vertices setup giving significantly more vertices that you had in original model. Toggling an option "Optimize vertices" on import in ZModeler can help solve the problem.

The particular issue in an originating topic relates to UV mapping on a mesh when some vertices have different UV mapping assigned and can't be merged together. these vertices are not welded and get different normals, as .3ds file does not store normals information (normals are always calculated once the object is loaded from .3ds file).
Oleg
Site Admin

Return to Grand Theft Auto V