GTA V character (Player, NPC) modding

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: GTA V character (Player, NPC) modding

Post by Oleg »

put an identical copy of some original model's component (with original material) as a new component, so you know mesh/materials/textures are not the cause (if the game refuses to show it too).
cosmicblip

Post by cosmicblip »

what would help out a lot is if we had a fbx export option that would be 10/10 for me
Deadspin
Beginner

Post by Deadspin »

So I got the male version of the model working 100%.

Now I've shifted to the female version and am encountering an error with both of the pieces I am adding to it, it looks a little something like this:

I'm following the same steps I used to get the male model working but for some reason, the jacket and vest I am adding to the female model have some of their poly's tied to the lower arm in regards to movement?
[Lore and 3rd Party Emergency Vehicles | Custom Ped/EUP]
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

skim all bones on an arm by setting them as current bone one by one; the bone that has affection/influence on a jacket vertices should take edited weight affection with rigging\influence\paint with CTRL key down to remove affection on these vertices. then use rigging\influence\normalize tool to re-balance weights on a model.
cosmicblip

Post by cosmicblip »

why is it when i export my guy out to .3ds he looks all blokey but if I do obj he looks good
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

.3ds file does not have per-vertex normals for smoothing, so the imported model will look sharply-shaded. At the same time .obj file have per-vertex normals and can produce smooth shaded models.
cosmicblip

Post by cosmicblip »

But objs do not contain separate parts makes texturing is a nightmare with uv maps and all in unity
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

the only format that is able to retain skeleton, bones, multiple UVs, per-vertex color, normals and tangents is Collada DAE. it worth to keep a track via this intermediate format. some other intermediate tool(s) might be required, I don't personally have any 3D package (maya/max/blender/unity - none of them).
cosmicblip

Post by cosmicblip »

All I need is it to have the npc to have texture when I export I have the rig working with custom tools dea a no go for me
Deadspin
Beginner

Post by Deadspin »

Oleg wrote:skim all bones on an arm by setting them as current bone one by one; the bone that has affection/influence on a jacket vertices should take edited weight affection with rigging\influence\paint with CTRL key down to remove affection on these vertices. then use rigging\influence\normalize tool to re-balance weights on a model.
Crap.. I'm still learning here. Is there any way you could do a quick video showcasing that if I threw the .z3d into a dropbox for you? I wouldn't expect you to fix and send it back but I'm not sure how to do what you described.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ul00jiuw2pxm ... k.z3d?dl=0
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

1. the viewport options is set to "semitransparent", so weights paint is double-sided (for front- and back-facing polygons).
2. i highlight upper arm bone and set it as current. influence color is shown on a model. I use rigging\influence\paint tool on vertices level with CTRL held down to reduce influence to zero (color fades to blue and disappears).
3. i highlight RB_ArmRoll bone (located at the same position as upper arm bone) by holding mouse still and tapping CTRL key once, then right-click to set it as current. influence of this bone is drawn too. I reduce it with Influence\Paint + CTRL too.

GIF is animated, 11.6Mb.
Attachments
reduce_affection.gif
Deadspin
Beginner

Post by Deadspin »

Awesome, however, that worked for the left arm/side of the vest but it's not working for the right side of the vest. I can't seem to find the influence for the right.

Deadspin
Beginner

Post by Deadspin »

Nevermind, found it, had to cycle through the bones more than I thought to find the one that was providing the weight influence.

I'm getting some push/pull on the mesh in-game that I can't seem to find in zmodeler. It's up near the armpits of the vest and for the life of me I can't find where that influence is coming from. It's minimal, but if the ped puts its arms up, its clearly visible.
cosmicblip

Post by cosmicblip »

so if i export it to obj how do i do all the textures as there is no uv map with all of them in
Frostyy

Post by Frostyy »

Deadspin, how did you add a new component? Like a new uppr og task? Do you have a small workflow to share, or maybe a quick tut, I've tried some stuff a month back, but no luck, maybe you can enlighten me with the knowlage I need? :D
lawdy

Post by lawdy »

Frostyy wrote:And how do I assign multiple materials to a accs? I have modded the ymt :D
I would also like help with this, I dont understand how to in Zmod assign a second material to a mesh. Help is appreciated

Edit I was able to do it by following this old guide by Oleg:
Oleg wrote:"Multiple Materials" in properties window means that several different materials were already assigned.

To apply multiple materials onto an object,
1. switch object to polygons ('3' hotkey and click on object)
2. select group of polygons with any of "Select" tools
3. open materials editor, pick desired material.
4. press "Assign to selection" button.
5. pick Display\Hide, push "Selected mode" button in the bottom and click in viewport to hide selected polygons.

repeat 1-5 for another group of polygons and another material.

6. Click Display\Show to unhide all hidden polygons.
Frostyy

Post by Frostyy »

I tried that, but no luck.. I'm gonna look in to it when I buy a new licence :D
Deadspin
Beginner

Post by Deadspin »

Frostyy wrote:Deadspin, how did you add a new component? Like a new uppr og task? Do you have a small workflow to share, or maybe a quick tut, I've tried some stuff a month back, but no luck, maybe you can enlighten me with the knowlage I need? :D
I'll see if I can write something up for you, I'm not the best at explaining the process since my organizational methods are chaotic at best.

I can say that adding a new component involves editing the .ymt file for the associated ped so that the game knows to look for additional items in those specific slots. Adding them in z-modeler is almost the same as using Oleg's replace tutorial, only you're not replacing, you're adding an item to that specific hierarchy (uppr / task / accs) and using the existing naming convention in sequential order (I found that GTAV is beyond anal when it comes to things being named sequentially). It's the same for expanding texture options like shirts, etc.

Say, for my ranger edits, I took that ped and turned it into an EMS / Paramedic ped for a server I play on but I needed more than two shirt color options. I needed like 9 total in the end and that's a .ymt edit coupled with adding the textures to the .ydr. Again, using proper naming convention (diff_001_a_uni, diff_001_b_uni, etc) in sequential order so that the game recognizes them.

To add the winter jackets (stolen from s_m_y_snowcop_01), I used Oleg's replacement tutorial but instead of replacing the existing mesh with the new one I added the component itself. So for example, the Pistol on the ranger is (lets say) accs_001_u in Zmodeler. I added the tac vest as accs_002_u, attached it to the skeleton, copied the weight from the uppr (shirt) and then, as you can see above, had to adjust weighting on specific bones to keep the mesh from being pulled all out of shape when the ped was running or raising its arms. Then I went about setting up the materials so that it would pull the proper textures, renamed and added the vest / jacket textures to match in the .ydr and then edited the .ymt to include those items under the same accessory category as the pistol and pistol belt.

Right now I'm stuck on the female ped because there are some weird weights that have been copied from the shirt that I still need to find the source bone for so I can edit. However, my hotkey knowledge of Zmodeler is iffy. Also, the Jacket refused to show up for me after my first edit. So I've got to debug that or probably start over from scratch.

Oleg - When I'm trying to paint weight onto the mesh, pressing ctrl or shift isn't working for me when I try to adjust weight or size of the brush. It just keeps zooming in or out when I scroll the mouse wheel on user / top / side screens. What am I doing wrong?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

mouse wheel will work when you switch object to vertices level, until you do so, zoom in/out will occur. vertices paint will work on vertices mode only, so you have to switch to verts in any case.
Deadspin
Beginner

Post by Deadspin »

Oleg wrote:mouse wheel will work when you switch object to vertices level, until you do so, zoom in/out will occur. vertices paint will work on vertices mode only, so you have to switch to verts in any case.
Im in Vertices level but it's still scrolling when I use the wheel. At least I assume I'm at vertices level.

Deadspin
Beginner

Post by Deadspin »

Using the wrong tool! Whoop! I'm an idiot.
Frostyy

Post by Frostyy »

I tried doing what you said, adding new comp, copying weight, etc beforehand. But no luck... I'll keep trying tho :))
Deadspin
Beginner

Post by Deadspin »

Frostyy wrote:I tried doing what you said, adding new comp, copying weight, etc beforehand. But no luck... I'll keep trying tho :))
Did you edit the .ymt so the game would know to look for a new component in the right place?
Frostyy

Post by Frostyy »

Deadspin wrote:
Frostyy wrote:I tried doing what you said, adding new comp, copying weight, etc beforehand. But no luck... I'll keep trying tho :))
Did you edit the .ymt so the game would know to look for a new component in the right place?

Yeah ofc :D
lawdy

Post by lawdy »

Frostyy wrote:
Deadspin wrote:

Yeah ofc :D
Does it show up if you open the ydd in openIV?