GTA V character (Player, NPC) modding

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
jr59

Re: GTA V character (Player, NPC) modding

Post by jr59 »

I was in 3.1.3, it worked very well, since I am 3.1.4, specmap is ignored, I just export of old model, and it is the same problem, you tell me "colors parametre" ? What did you change between 3.1.3 and 3.1.4? Something must be misconfigured in my zmodeler my but do not know or?
The problem is that no matter what color the specmap uses is completely ignored now!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

import original ped accessory: sunglasses with chrome-like reflection glasses (cop/sheriff model uses them) and examine settings. this is the model I've used to test and got correct reflection on them with "ped" (or "ped_default") shader used.

There is no "specular color" in GTA shaders. You can see shader parameters in OpenIV on "More information" -> "Shaders" page. Specular strength changes parameter specularFalloffMult, specular color (brightness) changes parameter specularIntensityMult.
jr59

Post by jr59 »

thank , you have the name of sunglasses files?
jr59

Post by jr59 »

Is that what I have?
you have an idea?
thank
Attachments
Sans titre.jpg
Sans titre1.jpg
jr59

Post by jr59 »

Here is what I had before, I now exports, it is completely matte with the same specular map
Attachments
6773049674691167199.jpg
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

try setting brighter color in Specular color (first screenshot, on top of properties page, your specular color is black -> try bright gray and let me know the result).
the second screenshot shows a list of model shaders; click on "ped" there to see properties and parameters stored in file.
jr59

Post by jr59 »

Ok worked for the new model with light gray, I make the specular map in very strong white!
so always stayed on light gray? And then for the speculary card use white, green, orange for reflection?
thank you very much, You saved my life lol
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I don't know specific channels meaning of SPECMAP texture on all ped shaders, you can simply make a test with RGB square pattern to see its effect.

setting white color in Specular slot will probably give higher reflection too.
jr59

Post by jr59 »

hi oleg, I still have a problem in my parameters zmodeler 3.1.4, for the texture of hair or eyesflash, the effect transparence no longer appears, yet I chose ped_hair_cutout_alpha?
Thank you
Attachments
Sans titre.jpg
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

show me an associated texture and its alpha.
jr59

Post by jr59 »

here:
Attachments
Sans titre.jpg
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

it "does not appear" in ZModeler or in game? in ZModeler you have wrong material settings: Alpha parameters -> Affected by Map/Channel should be set to DETAIL. A with slider moved to the rightmost position (full strength).
jr59

Post by jr59 »

in game not i have tested, now in zmodeler is ok thank you very much
jeffrey9090
Beginner

Post by jeffrey9090 »

I'm experiencing some game crashes with my exported models. I get a feeling that exporting with skeletal mode on causes this... I don't know how to pinpoint this issue.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

ped model have to be exported in skeletal model only. have you tried to re-import your model back into zmodeler? have you changed .yft file or use an original? avoid embedding textures into ped .ydd files (even thought it's possible, it might cause some problems).
CommanderFang

Post by CommanderFang »

Greetings, I've recently started trying to import custom models into the game using zmodeler3, and I've been reading all the information I can regarding the whole process, however I've been facing some problems.

I managed to successfully import a head and torso model into the game with no issues whatsoever except for some weight bugs I would have to solve, however as soon as I try to import the legs the game crashes upon trying to load the Ped, first thing I would like to know is if there is a polygon limit for the models or a maximum size for the YDD file cause my full model would make the YDD size about 12mb, I've tried to reduce the poly count by about 80% on the whole model but right now I'm at the point I can no longer reduce them anymore without my model deforming in horrible ways.

And this is what happens with textures when I try to mess with reducing polygon count in Max 2017 http://i.imgur.com/plotdKu.jpg

On a side note, how do people manage to rig a model to the default GTA V pose? because most models still come with the old T pose which doesn't match the one used for GTA V models, what I did was overlap a Ped model in Max behind my model and try to match it as most as I could.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

1. change value of "Base" user-defined property on a topmost hierarchy dummy node. If you import an original .ydd model, you will see whether this property is located. The max possible value is 255 (this relates to model crashing in game).

2. I doubt people are rigging models for GTA5, in most of cases they copy bones influence weight from original models. yup, these are not in T-pose. If you manage to set your new pose into gtaV-ready pose, weights copy will do better effect. If you manage to get your new model with affecting skeleton into ZModeler, you can pose your new mesh before copying weights. In particular, when mesh is bind to a skeleton, you can pose it by editing skeleton, then use "Rigging\Skeleton\Unbind" tool to unbind from skeleton, and the mesh will "remember" current posing as it's default, so you can go on with weights copying.

As an alternative, you can pose original mesh and skeleton to T-pose to match your new mesh and pose them as close as possible; then unbind original mesh from original skeleton (so mesh "remembers" posing). then copy weights (from original, good-matching to your T-Pose) models. Then reset original skeleton transform and pose it in "Setup mode" again to T-pose. "Setup mode" is the one that is exported/saved. Then rename skeleton's branch to ".global" and export .ydd. Not sure whether this will work or not, but try it in game; then rename ".global" to ydd name (e.g. ig_bankman) and export to .yft file with "Skeleton only" LODs mode. test in game with YFT file replaced too. I can't remind exactly, but changing posing skeleton in .yft have some specific result in game, it might be possible to achieve the things you need.
CommanderFang

Post by CommanderFang »

Oh, I see, Ok I'm going to try all this when I get home and see how it goes in game, thanks for the heads up.
CommanderFang

Post by CommanderFang »

Oleg wrote:1. change value of "Base" user-defined property on a topmost hierarchy dummy node. If you import an original .ydd model, you will see whether this property is located. The max possible value is 255 (this relates to model crashing in game).
Ok, following your advice I think I now get how to get around the pose rigging stuff, as I managed to do it after experimenting for a while, now, like you said I imported an original .ydd model to check the "base" value and after selecting the topmost dummy node this is what I'm seeing http://i.imgur.com/WRBncCD.jpg I noticed my model had a 255 Base value however do I just put the same value the original model had (12,0) or is there a way to know which value I should actually put in there? also didn't mentioned if there is a known poly limit for GTAV models (I'm guessing there shouldn't be a problem at all, at least with my model count, but one never knows and I'm quite new to this model importing stuff) thanks.
jeffrey9090
Beginner

Post by jeffrey9090 »

Also, how would you make mesh not bend? Smooth?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

@CommanderFang, unfortunately, I don't have a calculation formula for this value (otherwise, exporter would do this automatically). This value somehow tells the game amount of memory the model is going to be using with value of 255 seems to be reaching the ceiling of ~13Mb. This relates to .yft files (vehicles). I suspect .ydd file (as a bundle of independent .ydr files stored inside) can use this Base value to indicate a maximum memory usage of each entry, assuming entire .ydd could exceed the mentioned 13Mb limit.

Using very high value is not recommended, you should make several exports and tests to find the lowest suitable value that does not cause the game to crash.

Dual value (12, 0) appears when embedded textures are used. If you put some embedded textures into your file, increasing second value is essential too. Say, a model of 4Mb (output file) with 2Mb DDS textures inside would have Base value like 40, 16 or something like this.
CommanderFang

Post by CommanderFang »

Oleg wrote:Using very high value is not recommended, you should make several exports and tests to find the lowest suitable value that does not cause the game to crash.

Dual value (12, 0) appears when embedded textures are used. If you put some embedded textures into your file, increasing second value is essential too. Say, a model of 4Mb (output file) with 2Mb DDS textures inside would have Base value like 40, 16 or something like this.
Well I've been lacking some free time lately but I can finally start experimenting again, I'll be starting from scratch using a new obj export I optimized way more reducing polygon count just to be sure, one thing I noticed is when the game crashes it either just closes on my while trying to spawn the edited ped getting me the usual "GTAV.exe found a problem blah blah" stuff, but other times while trying to spawn it the game gives me an err_sys_invalidresource_5 error telling me there is corrupted game data and then the game crashes.

I recall you saying somewhere in the forum that embedded textures aren't needed for peds? how can I make sure there aren't any on my model or how do I turn that off?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

textures are embedded into a file that matches their group-name. You can see a group-name in a top-left corner of "Textures Browser". You can drag&drop texture onto "All textures" branch there to "clear" group assignment.

Also, when you export, you see a log line in a messaging window saying amount of embedded textures in the file you've just exported.
CommanderFang

Post by CommanderFang »

Oleg wrote:textures are embedded into a file that matches their group-name. You can see a group-name in a top-left corner of "Textures Browser". You can drag&drop texture onto "All textures" branch there to "clear" group assignment.

Also, when you export, you see a log line in a messaging window saying amount of embedded textures in the file you've just exported.
Ok first of all I appreciate a lot your help though all this mess I've been experiencing recently, thanks to your help I've managed to make a lot of progress, I went ahead and optimized my model a lot.

EDIT: I was still having some problems with my model crashing but after experimenting a while setting the base value to 60,0 did the job, however I guess I will have to do some work on the hair textures because in-game alpha just looks so bad... I guess its a limitation of the game engine, one thing I noticed is that when my character turns her head over you can see thru the texture from the inside of the hair any idea how to fix that? tried enabling 2-sided material in properties but i get the same result, the other side of the geometry is invisible, here is an example of my problem, as you can see the insides are completely invisible and this happens with other textures too. http://i68.tinypic.com/t8mc69.jpg

EDIT2: Well, nevermind, I seemed to have fixed most problems by now, after some research it seems that problem happens due to back-face culling since my model had one sided faces, just needed some adjustments and that did the job.
lawdy

Post by lawdy »

Hello!

I recently started using ZModeler and right now I'm trying to add a component to a model (mp_freemode skeleton, and mp components that im adding to an offline ped, the hway cop).

I added a task, a leg holster, and it shows up in game fine but I can't get it to connect properly to the skeleton/leg. I've followed your video but to no success.
In ZModeler it looks like the holster is connected to the leg when i move the leg, but in game it does not move.

What could I be doing wrong?
Thanks!