GTA V character (Player, NPC) modding

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
yabatou1985

Re: Ped models

Post by yabatou1985 »

I can't solve it, the game character will be a violent trembling when riding a motorcycle.

The above is my model, please help me look at what the problem is in what place. Thank you very much!!!

Download address
https://mega.nz/#!mNcBhR5C!Hk-C-d5xC68X ... vjCvYBZ5Mw
Installation path
Grand Theft Auto V\x64v.rpf\models\cdimages\componentpeds_a_m_y.rpf\
Lundy

Post by Lundy »

It shows now that no bone is assigned to the gun, I move the waist and it affects the gun holster normally, but the gun stays in a fixed position.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

@Lundy, and that's the problem. is gun mesh attached to the rest of geometry already? if it does, select gun vertices and use rigging\influence\copy tool on them. if it's not, follow the correct bones paint procedure:
1. bind model to skeleton;
2. toggle "tranformation + 4 bones" on gun mesh in properties;
3. set desired skeleton bone as current;
4. switch gun to vertices level
5. use surface\rigging\paint tool.

if the gun mesh is already attached, you can do steps 3,4,5 only, but make sure to hide unnecessary verts befor painting.

@yabatou1985, sorry for delay, I can't test ped models in game, as none of them spawns to me, so I've checked your model in zmod only.
ped_spec_colors.jpg
As I expected, you have not painted per-vertex specular color. the image below shows some sleeve polygons assigned to material with "Ignore vertex color" option disabled; and "swap colors" tool used on vertices - as you see, the mesh is bright grey meaning per-vertex specular color (shown instead of diffuse color after "swap colors") are white. Specular color on vertices should be black for non-wind-affected meshes.

the correct fix workflow for you might look as follows:
1. open properties of material and toggle off "Ignore vertices color" option on all of your ped materials (this is optional, it's just to let your see what you will do in the following steps)
2. toggle off "textures" in Perspective viewport (in a drop-down list of viewport options). most of your meshes should turn red/orange color as I see... it's ok. this is a default diffuse color on ped models;
3. select all of your objects (Shift + A), switch them to vertices level; Select all vertices (Shift+A) again;
4. use Surface\Paint\Swap colors tool and click on any of selected vertices. Mesh color should turn to bright grey. this is your specular per-vertex color.
5. expand Surface\Paint tool's options and set mode to "RGB" (the rightmost)
6. expand Surface\paint\Color tool's option and set color to Black; then press "Fill Selected" button to send black color to vertices;
7. * optional * (see below)
8. use Surface\Paint\Swap colors again to revert to diffuse color shown on vertices (orange).

you can export your model now; the "Ignore vertices color" option on materials is insignificant for exporter, so it's no problem to leave it off;

* optional *: you can paint some smooth random color gradients onto the cloak of your model, so this is the only geometry affected by wind. you can turn different colors in Surface\Paint\Color tool and paint interactively in perspective viewport (make sure to hide unneccessary vertices or objects first, so paint will not affect other vertices); Also, painting in solid viewport requires you to turn "Semitransparent" option on viewport, so a see-through paint mode is used. The tail of cloak can have brighter colors for higher wind affection, the upper vertices should have very dark colors for lower wind affection.
ped_spec_colors_cloak.jpg
this is just an example. notice, these are specular color painted, make sure to "swap colors" before you export.
Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Ok, it shows the gun has influence. It is painted and it moves with the skeleton and mesh properly in Zmodeler3. When I go in-game, the same problem still persists. Is there anything I could be missing?

Do I have the wrong influence?
http://puu.sh/pTwbB/de7b825cb6.jpg
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

cyan color is something like 20% influence only. it should be bright red. I assume you paint with Rigging\Influence\Paint tool, correct?
Take a look at this video: https://youtu.be/Gc6N6KPqgW8?t=241
Lundy

Post by Lundy »

I copied the instructions and gave it a full paint rigging. It didn't change a thing in-game still.
http://puu.sh/pTY74/744511a4ff.jpg
yabatou1985

Post by yabatou1985 »

Oleg wrote: .....you can paint some smooth random color gradients onto the cloak of your model, so this is the only geometry affected by wind. you can turn different colors in Surface\Paint\Color tool and paint interactively in perspective viewport (make sure to hide unneccessary vertices or objects first, so paint will not affect other vertices); Also, painting in solid viewport requires you to turn "Semitransparent" option on viewport, so a see-through paint mode is used. The tail of cloak can have brighter colors for higher wind affection, the upper vertices should have very dark colors for lower wind affection....

Thank you very much for your help !!!!! I solved it!!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

@Lundy, can you make a small video on what goes wrong with the gun in game?
Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Alright. Give me a few minutes.
Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

yup, this is a wind effect. use the guidance from this post: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8755&view=unread#p48350
Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Thank you very much. I finally fixed the problem. Silly mistake on my end, the previous times I forgot to swap colours after assigning the mapping. Thank you for the help. :D
Custo

Post by Custo »

I was able to import s_f_y_cop_01 just fine, but when I import s_f_y_sheriff_01... the hair gets messed up. At least, only hair_000 and hair_001 gets messed up.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98922161/zmod.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98922161/ingame.jpg

EDIT: Is there something I am doing wrong, or is this a bug?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

what shader is assigned on a model that bugs and what on the one that works fine in game? I haven't tested hairs, as Franklin model has no hair by default.
Custo

Post by Custo »

Oleg wrote:what shader is assigned on a model that bugs and what on the one that works fine in game? I haven't tested hairs, as Franklin model has no hair by default.
I don't understand your question.

I didn't do anything to the model, as soon as I import it into zmod, the hair breaks.

I followed this to import the model: viewtopic.php?p=47596#p47596

Also noticed that zmod did tinker with s_f_y_cop_01's hair a tad, it some how enlarged it a bit. It's noticeable when the ped wears a hat:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/989 ... itycop.jpg
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

hair system in game is unknown to me. the hair model has a diffuse map on one set of polygons, and bump-map on a hull-object, another set of polygons. I can suggest to move vertices of the hull object closer to the head model, it might have something to do with hair setup in game.
MrLifePak

Post by MrLifePak »

Can anyone tell me why this isn't working?

Attachments
20160727021756_1.jpg
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

looks like bones weighting is not assigned properly. mesh requires "Rigging" and "Max bones = 4" in properties->mesh->vertices->format; and weights copied from original upper model with Rigging\Influence\Copy tool.
MrLifePak

Post by MrLifePak »

I've done all of that but no joy.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

when you export a .ydd model, each ".mesh" object must be bind to a proper skeleton. The correct workflow would look like this:
1. import model's *.yft file (it has skeleton only and a big plane instead of .mesh object). delete .mesh and rename root node to .global
2. import your .ydd file. it will not load build-in skeleton(s) and will use the skeleton from .global branch instead. all .mesh objects will be bind to .skel from .global branch;
3. load your own mesh model (if it's not loaded yet). Hide all objects, except skeleton base and your mesh; Mark skeleton base with Select\Mark tool (will turn lime/yellow) and click on your mesh object with Rigging\Skeleton\Bind tool selected. your mesh will get bind to this skeleton.

from this moment on, you can assign bone weights onto your mesh object (set Rigging, bones, and use copy weights). then rename your mesh to ".mesh" and put it into proper branch of .ydd file; then export.
MrLifePak

Post by MrLifePak »

My model doesnt have a YFT file
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

if it is an accessory model for some ped, then you should refer to a *.yft model of this ped. It is quite possible for stand-alone .ydd file to have no skeleton or .yft file associated with it.

alternatively, you can use .skel from "head_00x_x" branch, as head component usually comes with a full skeleton in it. you should create a dummy ".global" and move this ".skel" hierarchy there. it is allowed for a .mesh object to be bind to .skel in a .global branch, but not allowed to be bind to a .skel on any different branch (e.g. you can't bind uppr_00x_x\.mesh to head_00x_x\.skel)
MrLifePak

Post by MrLifePak »

What part of the hierarchy is the Skeleton Base?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

the biggest sphere object of skeleton.
MrLifePak

Post by MrLifePak »

Do I need to export with the skeleton files or just the root dummy and .mesh?

edit: tried with skeleton present in export and without and still no luck fixing the model.