Unclear on how to properly apply Interior Colors with [PAINT:6]

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
BertoneScag

Unclear on how to properly apply Interior Colors with [PAINT:6]

Post by BertoneScag »

Hi,

So I've finally gotten around figuring out how to add the ability to paint interiors to my favorite cars. I've searched high and low for tutorials focused on interiors, to no avail. Basically I know how to apply the correct textures, but when it comes to applying the paint I can't figure it out. Everything that shouldn't be painted does get painted, ie all of the black/metal parts. The color bleeds onto them in-game:

At the present moment, I am unsure how to fix this, and I have tried using the selection tool but an unsure where to go from there (and for some reason I can't even select the textures on doorcards). When I look at the interiors of other cars with paintable interiors, it doesn't appear to be an issue but I'm not sure how to replicate that.

Thanks!
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Unclear on how to properly apply Interior Colors with [PAINT:6]

Post by Oleg »

game applies paint color to materials that has [PAINT: x] in a material name. If the #6 is for interior, then the associated material will be painted to interior color in game. If your vehicle has interior parts that should not get painted, they have to use their own material with no "[PAINT: x]" in a name. That's how you control what is painted and what is not. You can create a copy of material, remove "paint" in its name and assign it to non-painting polygons.

Regarding polygons selection - you can manipulate sub-elements (vertices, edges and polygons) of the object that was switched to sub-level. By default, ZModeler switches to sublevel an object you have activated before clicking. However, you can switch multiple objects to sublevel if you select these objects first. Once you have several objects selected and "Selected" button is togged in the bottom, then switching to a polygons level will switch selected objects simultaneously. You will be able to selected polygons in multiple objects at a time then.
BertoneScag

Post by BertoneScag »

Oleg wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:32 am game applies paint color to materials that has [PAINT: x] in a material name. If the #6 is for interior, then the associated material will be painted to interior color in game. If your vehicle has interior parts that should not get painted, they have to use their own material with no "[PAINT: x]" in a name. That's how you control what is painted and what is not. You can create a copy of material, remove "paint" in its name and assign it to non-painting polygons.

Regarding polygons selection - you can manipulate sub-elements (vertices, edges and polygons) of the object that was switched to sub-level. By default, ZModeler switches to sublevel an object you have activated before clicking. However, you can switch multiple objects to sublevel if you select these objects first. Once you have several objects selected and "Selected" button is togged in the bottom, then switching to a polygons level will switch selected objects simultaneously. You will be able to selected polygons in multiple objects at a time then.
Thanks. So I did figure out how to unpaint the interior bits I don't want to paint. But trying to select the steering wheel and doorcards to unpaint them is still proving to be difficult.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

hide objects that makes it hard to reach an object. you can hide an object and keep its children visible if this object's branch is expanded in hierarchy. thus, you can hide "chassis" but still be able to see/edit doors objects.
BertoneScag

Post by BertoneScag »

So I figured out how to do that. Approached another road block though:

Is it possible to reshape those polys to align with the parts I want to paint? Otherwise it'd be very blotchy
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I would say "yes", as it is possible to refine shape in ZModeler. However, if you are a newbie in ZModeler it would take ages to explain. Most likely you can use "Insert" tool on edges level to create edges on junctions of materials. once new edges are made, you can select polygons of your choice. I assume you want to separate "fabric" areas of door inner part and make them paintable in color while keep the rest as black leather.

Modify\Insert tool being applied on edges level can "start on", "end at" and "cross" existing edges only. The point you click on existing edge could be the edge itself (to create a vertex inside an edge) or very close to edge's vertex to use this vertex instead of creating a new one. Unless the end of the cut is on the open edge (an edge with just one polygon residing on it), the insert tool will not stop and will ask for continue picking the chain of points. In such a case you can use CTRL + click anywhere to stop cutting. Notice the lines on the following edges are starting/ending on existing edges only.
edges_insert.jpg
The rest is the matter of practice, trial and errors and a lot of Undo. :)