How to cut a mesh at a specific location?

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
Sun2k

How to cut a mesh at a specific location?

Post by Sun2k »

Hi,

I would like to know how to cut a mesh at a specific location?

I tried "Separated" and "Break" without success..

Is there a lexicon that explains the different tools of Zmodeler 3?

Thanks
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: How to cut a mesh at a specific location?

Post by Oleg »

"Separated" is a selection tool that selects sub-geometry elements (vertices or polygons) that are physically jointed with each other (vertices: with an edge, polygons: with an edge on exactly the same pair of vertices).

"Break" tool breaks the spline apart when applied to a spline or breaks vertex when applied to the vertex. Breaking a vertex means creating several identical copies of the vertex, so every polygon that used an original vertex will now use it's own unique copy of the vertex. Breaking vertices can be used to refine surface sharpness, when you first break a lot of selected vertices apart (so every triangle gets unique 3 vertices), then calculate normals (so every triangle is now look like flat-shaded, as its own normals will be used on its own 3 vertices), then the "Weld" tool can weld groups of vertices with "somewhat similar" normals. It's not that easy to explain in words, I suppose this is explained in some videos.

Back to your question: you can use Modify\Insert tool on edges level to make a cut in a geometry. The cut can't go across a set of polygons, you go through them one by one picking the edges or vertices for the cut to pass through. Once you reach the open edge, the tool will perform the action and you can start another cut. When the desired cut is made, you can use "Detach" tool to detach selected polygons from an object into a separate object.

P.S. I strongly recommend you NOT to make a translation for ZModeler. If you don't know how ZModeler works, how tools work, what they do and what they don't - your translation will likely mislead users on how to use every tool. This will make it even more harder to learn the application.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Thank you for these explanations.. I tried the Modify\Insert tool at the edges but nothing happens..

I tried to select the Edges of the mesh and I use the Insert tool so there is a red line but as soon as I release the mouse click the red line disappears..

Can you tell me the procedure please?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you click on edges one by one, the red line (where ZModeler will create a cut) will keep growing while you go from one edge to another. Once you reach an open edge (border of surface) the cut will be created. If you need to perform the cut before reaching open edge, hold Ctrl key and click.

Use Create\Surface\Flat to create simple flat surface for practice first. then practice on primitives like tube or torus. If your geometry has a lot of broken vertices and open edges, it might be hard to understand what exactly is going on and how the tool works.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Great thanks... I followed your advice, that is to say, I am practicing on a simple flat surface

First of all, should I select the "Edge" button?
If yes, then I have the edges turn green, then I select the "Insert" tool and I click on the edges one by one but the red line does not follow the edges but it follows my cursor
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

yes, it follows the cursor with dashed line and draws solid red line where the cut will be made. you click on an edge, then cross the polygon and click on the opposite edge, then cross another polygon and click on an edge and so on. The cut can cross the edge or pass through the point (you can click on an edge very close to the vertex and cut will go through this vertex).
insert_edge.jpg
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

if you need a straight cut, a "quick slice" tool applied to selected polygons could be a better choice.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Thanks I managed to draw the line... sorry I tried on the vertices instead of the edges

Then when I select the Detach tool and click on this red line nothing happens

I can't find the "quick slice" tool
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

ohh...
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Hello,

Is the "quick slice" tool the "Slices selected poly mesh with a plane. " ?

With this tool ("Slices selected poly mesh with a plane.. "I was able to draw a section line and then I use the delete key on my keyboard to delete the polygons (but I'm not trying to delete the polygons but to separate them)

But I try since yesterday to separate my mesh in 2 parts that fit perfectly but without success.

Can you help me to do it?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

to separate a set of polygons into an object, use Detach tool. Select polygons and apply this tool. Mind to check tools options - it can create a new object, or detach within the same object, it can allow you to drag/move detached elements, or can block unintended movement and like this.

quick slice tool creates a new edges where selected polygons cross the plane. this could be used to create a slicing cut on a geometry that could be used later on. For example, you can select polygons on the right side of the slice plane and detach them - the detached line/cut will be straight and perfect.

I advise you to view some basic tutorials for ZModeler (even for ZModeler2) - they will give quite a lot of understanding how this all works and what tools are used. ZModeler3 has, in general, the same tools set as ZModeler2, but the workflow is the same.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Thank you very much, I managed to detach the mesh. In fact I didn't know that I had to use the move tool...

Is the "quick slice" tool is the "Cut the selected poly mesh with a plane" tool. ?

The tutorials are on the Zmodeler website ?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Yes, Quick slice is the one that cuts selected polygons with a plane.
In general, it's better to find some basics tutorials on youtube. I have not created any basic video tutorials for ZModeler3 as it is very alike to ZModeler2 in workflow. There is an old basics tutorial for ZModeler2 on zmodeler2.com website, but it is a plain text with some images. It might be not the best option as I personally find video guides easier to understand.

ZModeler3 youtube channel contains mostly videos for very specific tasks. Unfortunately, it has no any overview or beginner guide videos, while it seems like it worth to be created.
Sun2k

Post by Sun2k »

Thank you :)