Project Cars 2 Wiper Animation Issues

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
luijo07

Project Cars 2 Wiper Animation Issues

Post by luijo07 »

I know this is not for Project Cars 2 but I have no access to the General Discussion channel. Please move this post if needed.

I have been trying to add a custom wiper to a Project Cars 2 mod and I'm having some difficulties. Hopefully I can get some assistance here. I have added a mesh to a working PC2 .meb file and I managed to paint the bone weight on the new vertices. I kept both meshes in the same object for information purposes only.

I have made sure that:
1 - Object -> Mesh -> Vertices -> Format have both Rigging enabled and Max Rig Bones = 4

2 - I have weighted the bones correctly to the point where both objects have nearly identical weightings
weight_arm1.png
weight_arm2.png
weight_bone.png
3 - I have made sure that the mesh is being animated correctly in Zmod when I import the BAB (animation) and BAS (skeleton) files.
ezgif-4-7b2c192276.gif
However, when I import the part in the game, I'm only seeing the original part move, and not the new modified part.

I'm thinking there must be something else I'm missing, can you please advise.

Thanks!!
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Project Cars 2 Wiper Animation Issues

Post by Oleg »

the best option is to import the modded file into ZModeler again and check whether everything (rigging) is retained or not.
luijo07

Post by luijo07 »

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I can see that everything persists after reloading. Considering that the original vertices are working OK, I'm thinking that there's something I'm missing. I saw that in one of your animation tutorials you added color to the vertices. Is that also required? If yes, should it be done before or after adding bone weight?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

no, vertices color is insignificant.

I would do another thing. Import an original model, move one vertex to make a "spike" and export model. test it in game. does this model work as intended or something changes?
luijo07

Post by luijo07 »

Hey Oleg.. Tried that and it still works ok. I have altered the mesh by pulling up one vertex and exported. I can see the alteration in game and during the animation as well.

I have attached the pc2 meb file in case you are interested in taking a look. The wiper on top is the new mesh (not working) and the bottom one is the original (works).
Attachments
nissan_skyline_kdr30_wiper.rar
(151.87 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

may you pack the mod with materials? it looks like the import with materials causes ZModeler to fail and I don't have an option to debug it currently.
Also, one of materials ends with "_skin" in a name, may be materials that support skeleton rigging (skinning) are specific? Have you tried to use original materials on your model, just to test this idea?
luijo07

Post by luijo07 »

Oleg wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:27 pm may you pack the mod with materials? it looks like the import with materials causes ZModeler to fail and I don't have an option to debug it currently.
Also, one of materials ends with "_skin" in a name, may be materials that support skeleton rigging (skinning) are specific? Have you tried to use original materials on your model, just to test this idea?
Ah you legend! yes, that did it. Just replaced the material's shader to "_skinned" and now works. Amazing!

Thanks.

There are other small issues that I found out after working with the animation files like Zmod not exporting a compatible file, which I had to update via hex editing in order to get them in the game that we'd love for you to take a look at. But this is good for now. Thanks again!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

drop the info on what you edit in hex to make it work over here. not sure whether I'll be able to make a fix shortly, my version of zmodeler is a bit of mess due to some changes, but if this filter update can be carried out safely, i'll make it shortly.