Painting Weights

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
prueling

Painting Weights

Post by prueling »

I convert clothes from other games. It used to work before but whenever I copy weights and edit it (primarily because of the hand part affecting the hem of dresses), it doesn't work once exported though I have checked before I export it (moving the bones to check if there are any errors on clothing movements).

Once I have loaded it in the game, the part I edited is not fixed as it should be. In short, the paint's influence didn't work.

Any advice for this?
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Painting Weights

Post by Oleg »

does it work after weight\copy only?
make sure the skeleton you bind your exported model to is located in ".global" branch.
prueling

Post by prueling »

Copying weights work but when I am removing the weights (editing the weights because it affects other part of clothes) by using the painting weights, it looked like it works on the software (I move the bones and it move just how I wanted to) but when I export it, when i check it in-game, the paint weights I have edited doesn't seem to apply to the mesh. It used to work before but I noticed lately that it doesn't.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

make sure to use Rigging\Influence\Normalize before you export. it might be important for in-game shaders code.
prueling

Post by prueling »

I tried normalizing and the one I removed weights came back. So basically, it just reverts to the step I copied the weights.

I removed the weights from arms
After normalizing (this is the same look before I even remove the weight from arms)
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

when you remove some weight from the vertex, this vertex needs another bone to get influence, so you need to paint another bone's affection on these vertices. if the neighbor vertices have correct weighting, read the most influencing bone from them and use "smooth" tool to spread this bone's affection onto vertices you've edited earlier.

Weight normalization lines-up "all bones" affection to 100%. If you had two bones affecting the vertex, then removing affection of one bone and normalization will give correct result (the bone that got no affection reducing will gain up to 100% after normalization). However, if only one bone affected the vertex and you reduced its action, normalization will give it a 100% power again.
prueling

Post by prueling »

Thank you for the explanation I just realized it doesn't have any other influence since I removed the former reason why it looked funny. Have a great day!
prueling

Post by prueling »

Just bumping this since I have another issue painting weights now on hair after the update. Whenever I paint on another bone, the former bone I just painted will change its weight. An example is when I paint the head part and then paint the spine3 next, the head part's weight became all too strong, ruining the whole thing. I tried re-downloading the latest build from the homepage, but the problem still persists.

Also, I have a hair model that I decimated from Blender. Vert and Faces is 20k. When I transfer it to Zmodeler, vert went 50k until it reached to 60k after another import after transferring weights.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

before you paint weight, it is advised to reset paint weight on target vertices first. you can do this by painting weight of bone #0 (set current bone to 0) and paint with full strength on vertices. Then paint one bone with something like 50% pressure. vertices will get this bone influence to 50% at most (unless you do this with single click&drag, as making several click&drag will of course surpass this grade and can reach even 100% on multiple passes). Then switch to send bone and paint its weight too.

when vertex has several bones weight assigned and you paint new bone influence on it, ZModeler will pick an empty slot (0% influence if available) or remove bone with the lest influence value. Doing so, it is possible to get the situation when newly-painted bone's weight is less than the one it has just replaced (e.g. you've painted 20% influence, but to do this ZModeler replaced bone with 25% influence). In such a case, to balance all influences to 100%, previously painted weights might get an increase.

If you think something is painted wrong, make a readout of bone's influence set from a vertex by hovering it (an influence set will be shown in top-left corner of the view). then paint and make a readout again. write both weights sets here (or post screenshots) so I can see what set of weights was on a vertex and what has happened.