Need help with editing/exporting GTA V Peds! Export troubles

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
Turkish20

Need help with editing/exporting GTA V Peds! Export troubles

Post by Turkish20 »

I changed the top of cbs_miguelmadrazo character, by firstly importing their original ydd and yft. Then I exported the original skeleton and the ped with the new clothing. When ingame and cutscene appears, the character is like a statue and the eyes are at another place as well as the teeth and mouth and so on and no head visible. What is the cause for it? I only give him a different upper and renamed it as the original upper, after I deleted it.

To make sure everything I did is right I did the following steps:

- after I exported the ydd file by selecting "Autodetect" I imported it again to see if it's correct, but then I only saw hierarchy of teef_001_u, hair, hand, lower, uppr and so on but no mesh!
- when importing the original csb_miguelmadrazo.ydd there are meshes, but sometimes zmodeler3 doesn't import his face, so I have to restart it many times, till his face is visible and imported into zmodeler3

My creation steps:
- import csb_miguelmadrazo.yft and rename it to .global
- import csb_miguelmadrazo.ydd
- import a new upper and copy it's mesh to the uppr of Miguel
- export csb_miguelmadrazo.ydd by selecting Autodetect
- renaming the model csb_miguelmadrazo to __csb_miguelmadrazo
- renaming .global to csb_miguelmadrazo
- exporting csb_miguelmadrazo.yft by selecting Skeleton Only

Now in the ingame cutscene, when Miguel appears, the situation on the top appears. Almost invisible body except the pants and shoes. Moving like a statue, eyes not in position (no face either), one eye somewhere at the left, teeth somewhere else, tongue is somewhere else too.

What is the easiest possibility to change a clothing of a cutscene character? What did I wrong? Can I send you the file maybe, so you can take a look by yourself to it? This is my first PED modding, so I don't know much about it, since the most tutorials are about converting a whole new character instead of giving them different uppr and lower or shoes.

Another step I did for a possible solution:

I tried it with the same character, that I downloaded from gta5-mods. I imported the vanilla yft. file and then that from gta5-mods.
I then merged my clothing with as mesh with the downloaded one, but deleted the poly of the gta5mods one. Then I viewed it in PED Viewer and it seems to be fine, except the head which is out of place. Everything from shoes to the top is in it's right place, as well as the hair but not the face. So hopefully someone can help me with this.
Attachments
Standard like in description
Standard like in description
Attached the meshes
Attached the meshes
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Need help with editing/exporting GTA V Peds! Export troubles

Post by Oleg »

so far I see the missing step of "bind .mesh object to .skel object" with Rigging->skeleton->bind tool in combination with Select\Mark on a skeleton base. This should be done before you apply any rigging data (bones weight copy for example) to the new .mesh object.

If you import .ydd file and you already have .skel inside .global, ZModeler will automatically bind geometry object to the skeleton, so the paragraph above is not important. However, I advise to check whether your .mesh object is actually bind to the skeleton before you export: when you hover the mesh, skeleton should turn lime color.

another thing to pay attention to is a possibility of mismatching skeletons - the one your upper .mesh was rigged to. To use such a geometry on another skeleton, you should get weight of "old bones" remapped to associated bones of "new skeleton". ZModeler does this when you use Rigging\Skeleton\Bind tool on a geometry that is already bind to some skeleton and you bind it to another. In this scenario, ZModeler will remap bones from old skeleton to matching (by name) bones of new skeleton.

To utilize the scenario above, you should
- import cutscene's .yft file for "new skeleton", rename it to .global
- import cutscene's .ydd file to get original model loaded
- rename .global to something else (e.g. __global)
- import your new model's .yft file (the .yft file your model is actually associated/used in game with)
- rename imported branch to .global
- import your new model's .ydd file. it will be bind to it's "native skeleton" (.skel inside .global)
- hide .global branch, so "native skeleton is not visible". unhide the skeleton from __global (the "cutscene's skeleton").
- mark "cutscene's skeleton" and use rigging->skeleton->bind tool on your new model's geometry (.mesh).

at this step ZModeler will remap bones from "native" skeleton to "cutscene's" skeleton.

- remove/delete .global with "native skeleton", it's not used anymore
- rename __global to .global, put your new mode's .mesh object into hierarchy of cutscene's /YDD branch (remove original .mesh of cause)
- export .ydd file only in "Autodetect" mode.
Turkish20

Post by Turkish20 »

I exported the ydd with autodetect after I completed the steps you wrote above. Afterwards I viewed it in PED Viewer, so only the uppr mesh (where I clicked to bind) turned into the right position (frontal). I repeated the binding with other bodyparts, such as the face.

I always selected mark->right click on .skel->bind skeleton->choose the mesh of a body part.

It started to look a bit too weird, when I binded the lowr to .skel
When I did this with the hands too, the model got destroyed becoming spiky (the hands)

Also hair looks strange as well xD Binded that one into .skel as well.

EDIT: The cutscene model has its own .skel under head_000_r and above .mesh
I put the model from my second picture at my first post, where I attached my bodyparts to the gta5-mods model, since the skeleton of it is the best one. But the main problem is, that I can't get the face. He is fine in the cutscene but the face is out of control. What and how can I make that work? As said above, the cutscene head model, has its own skeleton under head_000_r. Take a look at the screenshot of how it looks ingame.
Attachments
Current situation after binding hands to .skel
Current situation after binding hands to .skel
Cutscene of the "attached" model from gta5mods
Cutscene of the "attached" model from gta5mods
.skel of head
.skel of head
.skel of .global
.skel of .global
Turkish20

Post by Turkish20 »

Unfortunately I wasn't able to figure out yet, how to bring the head in proper position, so the head animations could work.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

are there any custom mods for cut-scene models? Just wondering whether it was done by someone already..
Turkish20

Post by Turkish20 »

Oleg wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:16 am are there any custom mods for cut-scene models? Just wondering whether it was done by someone already..
The model I got from gta5-mods (my scratch mod), is the ingame one, so without face animations, that is also the model, where I merged/attached my clothing to. I (afaik) imported the head animations from the original vanilla cutscene model. As said, in Ped Viewer everything shows fine except the head. When I delete the face animation everything is correct but of course no face animation for the cutscene character.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

this is an import->export with no changes. Does it work fine in game? I can see hierarchy of skeleton to be retained properly, as well as bones rigging/weight assignment is retained too.

May you check these files in game?
Attachments
csb_miguelmadrazo_test.zip
(760.51 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Turkish20

Post by Turkish20 »

No chance with that. The game crashes as soon the cutscene should start and I land on my desktop seeing my Rockstar Launcher with no crash messages at all. Game exits to desktop.
Turkish20

Post by Turkish20 »

I assume there is an error with the export. Since as you said, it's just the original file imported into Zmodeler and exported afterwards, it makes the game crash with no error message.