Collisions not working

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
OneSpeaks

Collisions not working

Post by OneSpeaks »

I've been trying to make a cars collisions work, without success. When I compound a COL, it collides with f.e. the ground, but not with the AI&Player. But if I recompound it, it collides with the AI, but not the ground. After recompounding a bunch of times, I have gotten the collisions to work with a) The AI&Player b) The ground when broken off the car, but not with c) The ground when attached to the car. Is there something I can do to make it work? During all those occasions, if I shoot the mesh, the bullet marks appear, as if there is a collisions.

-OneSpeaks
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Collisions not working

Post by Oleg »

it might be related to just one collision object of the hierarchy causing problems on other collisions. For example, chassis collision can cause this effect on doors (while door's collision is absolutely OK).

In most of cases, you can try to fix a problematic collision (start with chassis COL) as follows:

1. dismiss and duplicate the .COL object so you have two identical collision mesh objects for the part
2. select one of them, pick properties, then mesh->vertices->format. Toggle "Deformable". Apply.
3. select another one and set Deformable OFF. Apply.
4. group both meshes into one object and convert it to COL compound.

Avoid using this on way to many of your "COL" objects, quite likely using the method above on just some of your COL objects will fix the rest of the vehicle.
OneSpeaks

Post by OneSpeaks »

I have tried that before after reading it from the comments from the collision tutorial post you had made. Tried it now, now the car collides with more environmental objects, but not f.e. street signs. And now I can walk through parts of the car, where the chassis collision was the main collision, f.e. the roof.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

apply this "double collision" technique to more COL objects. I suppose your "chassis COL" needs it and other collisions that don't work (e.g. bumpers, doors). Don't use it for window collisions.
OneSpeaks

Post by OneSpeaks »

Have tried the double collisions with everthing now, still not working. Can drive through trees still.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

may be your COL object settings are not OK? I advise to import original game model and make exactly the same settings on your .COL objects as original model has. I mean Properties->General->GTAV options window. On polygons and objects level (objects level is more important).
OneSpeaks

Post by OneSpeaks »

I did an experiment where I merged the collisions onto a vanilla GTA V model and tested it. They worked without a flaw. So somethings going on with my model, but the question is: What?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

export your whole model over this vanilla GTA car (both collisions and geometry models) and test in game (so the game uses original metadata for the vehicle). Does it work this way? Collisions are also configured in metadata file, so may be some key is missing there?