Black spots after calculating normals

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.
HazeDev

Black spots after calculating normals

Post by HazeDev »

For the life of me, I cannot crack the code on how to fix when this happens after calculating normals. Happens on all sorts of things but primarily when I'm importing an obj created in another software. If you could point me in the right direction on how to manage this I would greatly appreciate it. I assume it has something to do with the direction of the normal in certain spots (I could be very wrong) but I don't know where in the settings to even enable seeing the direction of normals to start. Thanks in advance.

tall70
Amateur

Re: Black spots after calculating normals

Post by tall70 »

There is a little mess, looks like a triangle in another Direction, calculating normals will not clear that, looks like a piece accidentally detached of something else, rotate it, inspected in the wire mesh or polygons mode so you can see it
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

bad surface shading after normals calculation could be caused by any of these factors:
- problematic vertex is used by polygons facing completely different directions (e.g. outer-side and inner side of the model)
- problematic vertex is used by degradated polygon that generates bad normal. E.g. a triangle that has degradated to a line (two points out of three are matching). Modify\Cleanup can fix this.

As specified above, spin around and take a close look at geometry topology at the problematic area: highlight and delete polygons that you feel to be messy, then apply Calculate tool to see whether they (polygons you've deleted) were the cause.
HazeDev

Post by HazeDev »

Awesome. Thanks for the information! I'll look into these next time I come across the issue.