mirrored objects appear not-mirrored ingame

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.

Moderator: madga182

mirrored objects appear not-mirrored ingame

Postby johanneshfuerth » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:50 am

Today something odd happened...
I'm currently replacing the interior of a Datsun Fairlady Z i have downloaded that had a vanilla interior with the correct interior from a different 3D model.
The car is left-hand-drive, but the 3D model in right-hand-drive, so i mirrored the dashboard in Zmodeler3. It shows perfectly fine (correctly mirrored as lhd) as it should be both in Zmodeler and OpenIV, but in-game it appears un-mirrored (as rhd)...
How can I fix this? And why did that happen in the first place - imo the game shouldn't even know I have mirrored it in Zmodeler...
Any help would be greatly appreciated...

here are some screenshots (I haven't fixed the shader settings yet, so it is a bit hard to see):
2018-03-26 18_30_39-004 - ZModeler 32 bit version 3.2.0 (Build 1181).png
in Zmodeler3...

2018-03-26 18_33_23-OpenIV - vehicles.rpf - [Edit mode].png
...in OpenIV...
johanneshfuerth

Re: mirrored objects appear not-mirrored ingame

Postby johanneshfuerth » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:53 am

and here in-game:
Grand Theft Auto V Screenshot 2018.03.26 - 18.36.04.69.jpg
johanneshfuerth

Postby Oleg » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:29 am

you have probably mirrored with local axes too. You should toggle off "mirror axes" option before you mirror, so only geometry is mirrored.

alternatively, mirror all selected vertices instead of entire object; you might need normals calculation and/or modify\flip on polygons after mirroring geometry.

alternatively, apply Display\Local axes\Reset to world on a mirrored object to fix local axes.
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby johanneshfuerth » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:10 am

Thank you Oleg, what you wrote absolutely worked for me.
I reset the local axes to world but then it flipped the polygons on me (textures moved to the backface of the polygons) so I flipped the polygons and re-calculated the normals...and now it's just how i wanted it!

Now I just have to figure out the correct shader settings...vehicle_interior and vehicle_interior2 both turn out too dark in-game but that might have to do with the materials that are still unchanged from the original model file I had imported (I just added the GTA5 shaders)...is there maybe a list of the available GTA5 shaders somewhere that gives some more in-depth information on the individual shader settings, what they will do and to what I can apply them? I have searched the internet but couldn't find anything...

I really have to say you and the whole team are doing an amazing job and Zmodeler is getting more powerful and reliable every day! Thank you so much! :D
johanneshfuerth

Postby johanneshfuerth » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:11 pm

now i used the "vehicle_mesh" shader (with specmaps I made myself) and now, while I still find it a bit dark, I think it looks okay and it works in-game:
Grand Theft Auto V Screenshot 2018.03.30 - 00.01.41.82.png

Grand Theft Auto V Screenshot 2018.03.30 - 00.01.41.82.png

Unless you can tell me straight away "I know a much better way" I think I'll just leave it like this...
:D
Attachments
Grand Theft Auto V Screenshot 2018.03.30 - 00.02.02.20.png
johanneshfuerth

Postby Oleg » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:03 am

mind a per-vertex Red color component is a dimmer for AO. If you paint red channel to bright/255, mesh will get brighter in game on almost any shader.
Oleg
Site Admin

Return to Grand Theft Auto V